First for me...

herb mcclure

No, not that I can relate too. My family tree goes back to Fightintown Creek in Fannin County since 1822. My descendant from there moved to Forsyth and Dawson County's line on the Chestatee River at the end of the Civil war. This is where I was raised until Lake Lainer covered the home place. However, my 3rd great-grandpa was one of the first gold miners in today's Rayburn county. His name was John Jr. McClure. He is listed in the 1834 tax digest as the largest landowner in that county. He lived where Dicks Creek then ran into the Tuluala River. Also, at the head of this Dicks Creek on the Appalachian Trail, the gap up there is named McClures's Gap. John Jr. had two sons one went to today's Fannin County which was my 2nd great-grandpa the other son I don't have knowledge about, Very possible the same McClures.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Thanks for the word Mr McClure. Never can tell how far the family lines go back... I have found my search very interesting.
In any case, my regards to you... Thanks.

herb mcclure

Hawks have to eat too.
Anything that keeps a gobbler on his toes and makes him more of a challenge to hunt works for me.
It wasn't hawks or other birds of prey, or any four legged predator, that almost wiped out wild turkeys the first time around. Let's keep that in mind.

No disrespect, Mr.Timber1 but in my opinion and what I was told the loss of our American Chestnuts were the downfall of your and my turkey populations in the past until the state stocked their breed of turkeys everywhere.

Timber1

BANNED
Squirrels were more dependent on the Chestnut than turkeys and are probably lower on the food chain also. Nobody hunts squirrels anymore, but the birds of prey do, and the little boogers are everywhere.
I really dont think losing one food source out of hundreds had the same impact as over harvesting and habitat loss (logging). Both perpetuated by humans.
We are now losing the Beech trees, which are related to the Chestnut and another favorite of the mountain birds. I dont see that affecting their numbers up here.

Last edited: