First GA Gator Hunt-8/26 update with questions

munchie3409

Alright guys,

I asked this question a few years ago, and I think I'll go on my first GA gator hunt this year. I have 8 points and I'm looking for suggestions on zones and guides.

I talked to Gary Frye a few years ago and he seems like a great guide.

I was thinking zones 9/8/7/6...I do want to factor in drive time as I'm driving from PA.

Any suggestions would be greatful.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Zone 2 is your best shot at a public water Georgia alligator in my personal opinion. The deadline to apply is this Sunday if I'm not mistaken though so might want to go ahead and wager those preference points. Good luck.

b rad

gary is ur guy if u want a gator all zones u mentioned are good but go for 7 for best hunting gary will have u on a gator in no time and whatever size u want

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Lake Seminole is the best place to get a gator imo. You have a real good shot at a 10'+

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I didn't know Seminole is in zone 2 even though I took a 8'-6" there the 3rd gator season. I did apply for my 3rd priority point this year. Could I get picked for zone 2 next year with those?:cheers:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Pile of gators on Seminole with some as big as they grow anywhere.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I didn't know Seminole is in zone 2 even though I took a 8'-6" there the 3rd gator season. I did apply for my 3rd priority point this year. Could I get picked for zone 2 next year with those?:cheers:

Sure you could. It seems to me that 4 points is the magic number. I currently have 4 in. Fingers crossed!

munchie3409

Ok, so I was fortunate to get a permit for zone 8. I used 5 points.

I need an out of state hunting license $30 for one day.
The gator permit for out of state hunters is $250.
Are there any other fees I need to pay? I want to make sure since this is my first time gator hunting.

ETA: I am planning on bringing a friend with me to help with the work of getting gator onto boat. I'll be using Gary Frye as my guide. Does my friend need anything more than a one day out of state hunting license?

Thanks in advance.

munchie3409

It appears that I only needed 4 points to get my zone 8 tag, so that was a nice surprise.

ETA: I did find out that I only need two day hunting license and the $250 non resident gator permit.

I'm getting excited about this hunt.

poolecw

Guys, you can take the 2017 data and back into how many priority points you need to get picked. I calculated it takes 3 points to get zone 8 so that's what I wagered and I got drawn.

ben300win

Note....all folks in the boat need a gator license so your friend is going to need one as well, even if he does nothing but ride in the boat.

35 Whelen

Note....all folks in the boat need a gator license so your friend is going to need one as well, even if he does nothing but ride in the boat.

Licenses
Anyone hunting or assisting an alligator permit holder must possess a valid Hunting License. Hunters must be at least twelve years of age. Hunters age 12–15 need not have a Hunting License. In order to hunt unsupervised they must have a valid Hunter Education Certificate. An Alligator Harvest Permit must be in possession of a person in the hunting party.

https://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/alligator

cowhornedspike

Nope. Just the actual hunter. Others in boat need a hunting license.

munchie3409

How bad are ticks and other bugs while hunting gators? I was thinking about wearing a long sleeved shirt and long pants and spraying it it permethrin. Or do you guys wear t shirts and shorts when gator hunting?

REDMOND1858

How bad are ticks and other bugs while hunting gators? I was thinking about wearing a long sleeved shirt and long pants and spraying it it permethrin. Or do you guys wear t shirts and shorts when gator hunting?

Our ticks here ain’t quite took to swimmin real well yet, but them skeeters are something else. Go get ya a thermacell and your all set. You’ll be glad ya did.