First hog - now looking for more!

cjones

My father-in-law set up a hunt for us at Bear Run Lodge (bearrunhunts.com) down near Fargo last weekend. I was able to put down my first ever hog with a 336 Marlin pushing .35 Rem. At 110#, it wasn't a beast like others I see posted here, but it was a good meat hog and is already resting comfortably in the freezer. Now I've got the itch to find more. Anybody got insider tips on where to look for hogs near Newnan area? I see mention of north in the mountains or down south of Macon, but curious if there is anywhere closer that holds hogs.

Now I'm back to my search for a sweet deal on a .22 Mag for small game season hunting.

(Side note, I'm 6'7" tall, so for reference I'm a bit 'longer' than the hog :) )

45698780312_14c46a6ae6_c.jpg

Last edited:

FOLES55

Fort Benning isn't far at all and has hogs. Heck there are a few hogs running around Meriwether County off the flint river, you just don't hear many talk about it.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Congrats on the first hog! Not many public langd hogs near Newnan, but plenty of public land south of Macon with hogs.

Unfortunately, Ft. Benning is hard to access unless you are military or have military friends.

Geezer Ray

BY the way, as far as 22mags go. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, I bought the Marlin XT bolt action, shoots good $200.00, throw on cheap scope and your small gamin. Only time I use it is hogs during small game season.

earlthegoat2

Yeah, there are great deals on used .22 Mags out there. Most folks underrate them but they are a necessity for hog hunting on WMAs here.

I got a Remington 597 Magnum for $200. Im a lefty and don't do bolt actions. Ill probably pony up for Henry pump next season.

cjones

Thanks for all the tips, folks. Looks like you can get a Marlin .22 WMR from Academy for $220, which isn't too bad a price for new. May have to hint at the wife about a Christmas present.

My father in law brought up the idea of Ft. Benning. He is retired military, so we can probably get on. Only problem is he lives in Iowa and is only down here a couple times per year. I think we'll be more strategic for timing his visits going forward.

Thanks again for the tips!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Hook line and sinker! Congrats on your first piggie!!
I got a cheap Marlin 22 Magnum bold action from Walmart and put a Simmons 22 mag scope on top of it and I don’t think I have $250 in the whole set up and it is a tack driver out to 100 yards.
love love love it! have fun and definitely agree with getting the 22 mag !

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thanks for all the tips, folks. Looks like you can get a Marlin .22 WMR from Academy for $220, which isn't too bad a price for new. May have to hint at the wife about a Christmas present.

My father in law brought up the idea of Ft. Benning. He is retired military, so we can probably get on. Only problem is he lives in Iowa and is only down here a couple times per year. I think we'll be more strategic for timing his visits going forward.

Thanks again for the tips!

I don’t think he’ll mind you sending him pictures of pigs that you are killing, waiting for him to come help! ?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Pinelog is one that comes to mind with No Furbearer season ?

Latest posts