First Public Pig of 2019

GTHunter

1548097148518.png

My little brother and I worked our butts off for this pig this weekend. We ran an ambitious duck/hog hunt across 3 WMAs in 2 days and finally got on a group of pigs in the last 30 minutes before we had to make it back to Atlanta yesterday. The timing was absolutely perfect. We used my little 14 foot jon boat with a 15 hp and trolling motor up front to come off of the river and navigate through the flooded creeks and low lying WMA land. I had always wanted to try that and it worked out great. It was definitely a stress inducing experience trying to keep the boat turned into the current while bumping into submerged stumps and logs but once we got the hang of it we could move up the creek pretty stealthily.

Yesterday was the windiest conditions I may have ever hunted in, but this pig didn't care. He found a group of 4 pigs only 10 minutes after hopping onto dry land to try a spot I had hunted before from the land side. It fell 10 feet from the water so there was no dragging required. That is very different than the 2 mile hike it takes to get there from the road. That pig totally turned the weekend around as we had met more than our share of obstacles up to that point. I found a nice 4 point shed at dark the night before in a public dove field and considered it a good omen for hunting on Sunday. Turns out I wasn't wrong.

-Herman

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Well deserved , congrats on the pork ! Those little islands in flooded timber can really pay off !

greg_n_clayton

The old timers I hunted with in the swamps near Beach Island called them Florida swamp hogs colored that way for some reason or another. We killed lots of pigs colored up that way back in the late 70's. All those guys are dead and gone now ! We had to use a compass. GPS handhelds didn't exsist nack them that we knew of !! Them terrain in them swamps all looked the same to a nunch of mountain folks, when you can't see a landmark in the distance !

jbogg

Sounds like a great hunt Herman! Now you need to get back up here to help keep these mountain pigs in check.

GTHunter

@jbogg I am planning to come hike around the mountains this weekend and pick up my bear skull from the Trophy Takers. How's it looking up there?

GTHunter

They are soft tanning it for me. I had kept the head and paws on it with the intent to do a full body rug mount, but that just wouldn't jibe with my wife's decorating of our home. It would dominate whatever room it was in and I don't yet have myself a full man cave to decorate. So I switched to a bleached skull and soft tanned hide to use a throw blanket over the back of a chair. It was cheaper too.