First time clover plot

bradleyjanes06

Planting my first clover plot for Friday. Planting Dutch white clover, alsike clover, brassica and turnips. It's a long term plan.

This year planting those two clovers as they can take a pounding and keep growing luckily. There's a little ladino and another type growing already from last year. Not a lot but some. Next year I want to cut and over seed with ladino and oats. Hopeing it works where each year I only need to over seed lightly with annuals. Sound like a decent plan?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I would say you're early. Most clovers prefer to germinate when the soil temperatures are a lot cooler. Durana for instance, would like to see the ground temps in the low 60's and we're far from there right now.

The issue you will have is weeds. If the clover doesn't germinate, I know the weeds will, so they will become a battle for you.

If you are looking for a perennial clover plot, I would make sure my ph is above 6 and preferrably 6.5. If you're not there yet, then focus on getting there this fall by doing a soil test and adding lime, then doing your perennial plot next year. Wheat/Oats, Cereal Rye and Crimson clover could be good starters for you, while adding your brassica.

I'd also consider upgrading your clover, once your ph is up. There's lots of good perennial clovers out there like Whitetail Institute, Durana, Regal, etc.. You're putting a lot of time and effort into a clover plot and a few dollars more for good clover will pay dividends later on.

2018 Manchester Farm & Garden Clover prices.JPGshade clover.JPGWhite Clover Establishment.JPGDurana Graph.JPG
Clover soil.JPG

Canuck5

And my standard Acidic Soil chart. Getting the ph up will allow your clover to take in more nutrients vs being tied up in the soil. Right now the bucks are needing phosphorous and calcium to harden off their antlers, before shedding their velvet.

Attachments

• Acidic soils.JPG
    Acidic soils.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 12

davidhelmly

I would say you're early. Most clovers prefer to germinate when the soil temperatures are a lot cooler. Durana for instance, would like to see the ground temps in the low 60's and we're far from there right now.

The issue you will have is weeds. If the clover doesn't germinate, I know the weeds will, so they will become a battle for you.

If you are looking for a perennial clover plot, I would make sure my ph is above 6 and preferrably 6.5. If you're not there yet, then focus on getting there this fall by doing a soil test and adding lime, then doing your perennial plot next year. Wheat/Oats, Cereal Rye and Crimson clover could be good starters for you, while adding your brassica.

I'd also consider upgrading your clover, once your ph is up. There's lots of good perennial clovers out there like Whitetail Institute, Durana, Regal, etc.. You're putting a lot of time and effort into a clover plot and a few dollars more for good clover will pay dividends later on.

View attachment 940533View attachment 940534View attachment 940535View attachment 940536
View attachment 940537
Great advice Canuck!!

Canuck5

:) Sometimes we learn things the hard way!!! It's called 'sperience! :)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
:) Sometimes we learn things the hard way!!! It's called 'sperience! :)

They say it's the best teacher. It''s certainly the most vicious.

Canuck5

It sure can be!!! :)

Triple C

bj06...Canuck is spot on with his recommendations. Only thing I would add is to keep your perennial clover plots as a "clover" plot and not mix anything like brassicas with it. I'd wait till the end of September or early October and plant my clover along with wheat, oats or rye as a nurse crop. Terminate grains next spring and maintain clover plot with mowing and spraying as needed. You'll be feeding deer year round out of the same plot for several years to come.