First time shooting BH 209

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I don't have a clue what the weight of my loads are, but they are 100 grains by volume. Def a shoulder thumper, but most of the time if I'm shooting a bunch I'm Using a lead sled so I don't feel that pain as much

Deernut3

I don't have a clue what the weight of my loads are, but they are 100 grains by volume. Def a shoulder thumper, but most of the time if I'm shooting a bunch I'm Using a lead sled so I don't feel that pain as much
On the cheap little grain scale I got off Amazon 100 measured grains weighs 77.2 grains.
Thanks Mr. Jim and all for the input, leaving after work for a week of muzzleloading. As a sign of the times we now have WIFI in our hunting club so if we have any luck I'll try to post it up.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I've used those and remington and winchester 209s. All the years I used it I only had one misfire and that probably came from moisture and not the cap. Mine is coming from a TC Encore so not sure if the breech is different or what.

I definitely love the fact that when at the range I can run 30 or 40 loads down range and never even swab the barrel
So is your breech plug as original or a special one for bh 209 in your encore?

ryanh487

What are y'all using to measure the powder? I decided to make the switch and I know not to trust the speed loader tubes.

ryanh487

Ok I bought one of those. What do you use as the "fill line"? If I set it to 90 and fill to the last line befor the lip, the speed tube reads 80 grains. If i fill too the top rim and "close the funnel to level the powder" as it says on the package, speed tubes read 100 grains. 20 grains is a big difference if this stuff, even in an inaccurate tube.

I reckon I could pull out my scale and measure by weight (buckhorn says 100 gr vol = 70 gr weight), then fill my speed tubes and mark the lines with a sharpie...

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Ok I bought one of those. What do you use as the "fill line"? If I set it to 90 and fill to the last line befor the lip, the speed tube reads 80 grains. If i fill too the top rim and "close the funnel to level the powder" as it says on the package, speed tubes read 100 grains. 20 grains is a big difference if this stuff, even in an inaccurate tube.

I reckon I could pull out my scale and measure by weight (buckhorn says 100 gr vol = 70 gr weight), then fill my speed tubes and mark the lines with a sharpie...

Good question. I pour it to 100 and smooth off the top, close the funnel and plunge. Have never weighed it, so I am prolly off by 10 or 20 grains on every pour :hair:

ryanh487

Good question. I pour it to 100 and smooth off the top, close the funnel and plunge. Have never weighed it, so I am prolly off by 10 or 20 grains on every pour :hair:

I just studied the powder measure a little closer. Realized the lines for the load are BESIDE the number, not beneath as I had thought for some reason. And you are supposed to fill to the top. My measurements were so different because I had first filled to the 20 grain mark, so it was 20 grains short, and filling to the top gave me about 100 grains in the tube because the I had the plunger pulled back to the line below 90, which is actually 95 grains. It was one of those ID-10-T errors.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I just studied the powder measure a little closer. Realized the lines for the load are BESIDE the number, not beneath as I had thought for some reason. And you are supposed to fill to the top. My measurements were so different because I had first filled to the 20 grain mark, so it was 20 grains short, and filling to the top gave me about 100 grains in the tube because the I had the plunger pulled back to the line below 90, which is actually 95 grains. It was one of those ID-10-T errors.

Def thumping that shoulder :bounce:

Deernut3

Well I spent the week hunting with the muzzleloader and although I never fired a round at an animal i had a great week. I did see two shooter bucks but had no shot on either one, saw plenty of hogs. My impression is that acorns are every where and the little bucks are chasing like crazy. The two shooters I saw were feeding at mid-day 10:45 and 12:20, I consider a shooter 130 plus(down here).