First time shooting BH 209

Deernut3

The breech plug that I ordered to shoot BH 209 in my CVA Optima V2 wouldnt screw in far enough to close the gun so I tried the original breech plug and it worked fine for 4 shots. I shot Hornady XTP 250 grain bullets with the green sabots and 100 measured or 77 weighed grains at 50 yards the first shot was about 1inch left the next three settled around the bullseye in about a 1inch group. It sure seems to shoot tighter the more you shoot it when starting with a clean bore.

Buford_Dawg

Ive got about 15 777 pellets left from a bulk order. Once I use them up I am going to try BH 209. Heard good things about it.

BarnesAddict

The breech plug that I ordered to shoot BH 209 in my CVA Optima V2 wouldnt screw in far enough to close the gun so I tried the original breech plug and it worked fine for 4 shots. I shot Hornady XTP 250 grain bullets with the green sabots and 100 measured or 77 weighed grains at 50 yards the first shot was about 1inch left the next three settled around the bullseye in about a 1inch group. It sure seems to shoot tighter the more you shoot it when starting with a clean bore.
Did you use the tool to tighten the new BH209 breech plug down TIGHT?
Its a common mistake made by many. Use the tool and tighten the new plug down tight, remove the plug and your problem should be resolved.

Deernut3

There is a small shoulder on the BH 209 plug that the origanal plug doesnt have. I did put channel locks on it but that small shoulder keeps it from going in far enough. I didnt order it from CVA which was probably the problem. I was going to order another BH 209 breech plug but the original seems to work just fine.

BarnesAddict

There wasn't a tool provided for tightening it?

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member

I had the same problem even with the CVA BH209 breech plug. Used the tool to really tighten it down and it will close, but it still doesn't fit as good as the original plug. I usually have to use the tool to take it off and put it back on. My boys have 2 other CVA Optima V2;s that I just kept the original plug on and they work just fine. Love shooting the BH209 out of the CVA nitride barrel and not having to worry about rust. I normally don't shoot a ML at 100 yards but shot at 100 yards last year and was pleasantly surprised at the grouping and hardly any drop.

Deerhead

I have been shooting BH209 in my Optima for several years. No problem with the breach plug for BH209. But its an older gun too. This gun is really accurate with BH209. I sight in at 100yds each year. Groups are 1 - 1/1/4". So I have no excuse...

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
If you ever get the breech figured out where you can just concentrate on getting your load combo, you will never look back.

BH209 user for 11 years now. Love it's accuracy possibilities and its cleanliness.

shdw633

I have been shooting BH209 in my Optima for several years. No problem with the breach plug for BH209. But its an older gun too. This gun is really accurate with BH209. I sight in at 100yds each year. Groups are 1 - 1/1/4". So I have no excuse...

Same here, just sighted my Optima in this last weekend and first shot dead on, reloaded and hit within a 1/4 inch of the first shot....I'm ready to go!!

Deernut3

Yes that wasnt a typo at the top, i measured 100 grains by volume then weighed it and it weighed 77.2 grains. I've read that it should weigh .7 per grain meaning it should have been 70 grains. I've just weighed out 77.2 every time thinking weight would be more consistant than volume.

pdsniper

I shoot the BH 209 in my 4570 sharps and it is fantastic, most accurate powder I have found to date in my sharps

I have shot it for years. I use 84 (weighed) grains and a 300 grain hornady SST bullet. It kills them very dead, very fast. Kicks like a mule though....

Only probolem I have had with it is hunting with it when it dips down in the teens. I mad a missfire on a big buck. When I changed primers it went off the second time.

Deernut3

The last 3 shot group before packing up and had my first mis-fire, re-capped and it shot fine. The BH 209 breech plug should be delivered tommorow so I hope not to have too worry about that any longer. All in all it's doing good shooting the Hornady XTP 250 gr. in about 1 inch groups at 100yards. I've got some 285 gr. Barnes Spitfire MZ coming with the order that I want to try as well.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
The last 3 shot group before packing up and had my first mis-fire, re-capped and it shot fine. The BH 209 breech plug should be delivered tommorow so I hope not to have too worry about that any longer. All in all it's doing good shooting the Hornady XTP 250 gr. in about 1 inch groups at 100yards. I've got some 285 gr. Barnes Spitfire MZ coming with the order that I want to try as well.

What caps are you using?

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
CCI 209 shotgun primers

I've used those and remington and winchester 209s. All the years I used it I only had one misfire and that probably came from moisture and not the cap. Mine is coming from a TC Encore so not sure if the breech is different or what.

I definitely love the fact that when at the range I can run 30 or 40 loads down range and never even swab the barrel

Deernut3

So i only shot three shot groups without scope adjustments until yesterday. I went from 3- 50 grain pyrodex pellets to 77.2 weighed grains of BH 209 and I ended up moving 8 clicks up, both bullets were 250 grain. When I get my breech plug I'll try uping the powder charge and shooting some groups. Dang if pulling that trigger aint already a business decision, my poor shoulder is hurtin.