First trail camera ordered stealth cam STC-G42NG

Samoset

Been wanting a trail cam for some time now. Went and did some work on one of my brush blinds today and when I got home I said screw it and orderd a stealth cam "STC-G42NG". I also ordered two 32g sdcards , python cable lock and lithium batteries for it. All under 170. With tax shipping and all that.

Some of the cameras I was concidering would have cost me more than that by the selves.

Once I get this thing in and set up I'll update this thread. Hopefully this camera does what I want and need . If so I'll probably order two more at the price .

transfixer

I'm not familiar with that brand, but it has a ton of good reviews, I recently purchased a Browning Strike force trail cam , and after checking my pics this past weekend, I'll be ordering more in the future, much clearer night and day pics than my other two cameras which are WGI trail cams.
Checking trail cameras is a lot like Christmas , you never know what you're going to get ! Enjoy !

N

NantucketShedHunter

I have the G42. It's not a true no glow. You can see the red blob. Just barely but it's still visible. The day pictures are excellent. Night pictures suffer from extreme burn. So bad I had to put two layers of tape over the LED's to tone them down to an acceptable level. Another thing I had to do was tape over most of the sensor because it was way too sensitive. Only getting 1/2 of a deer's nose. After I taped the sensor the subjects were centered in the frame. Looking forward to your opinion on your G42.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckfever

I've got 2 G42NG that I've had for 2 seasons. It takes decent videos day and night, but battery life is terrible, 3 weeks on a fresh set sometimes 2. These were my first 2 Stealth Camera's and my last. Good luck!

Samoset

Have you tried a firmware update?

I've got 2 G42NG that I've had for 2 seasons. It takes decent videos day and night, but battery life is terrible, 3 weeks on a fresh set sometimes 2. These were my first 2 Stealth Camera's and my last. Good luck!

Not sure what version your cameras are or what firmware they are running.

This manual says the firmware update is to update power management and add battery messeging

http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/downloads/file/0076fad3-32ae-4705-a1fd-bd744ff80e9d/

Not sure if this will help you. But may help you get more enjoyment out off your cams.

RobertG

Trail Camera

I have the Moultrie 990I and love it. The camera works great and the battery life is awesome

Samoset

Camera setup

Camera and accessories where waiting for me when I got off of work today. Took it to a mineral site that gets a little activity. Used the platform from my tree stand to get it just out of reach. Used a stick to prop it forward a little and used cable lock to lock it to the tree.

Added some granulated trophy rock to the mineral site cut up a fresh apple and rubbed some conquest evercalm on some trees to try and peak interest in the area a bit.

Let the cam take a few test photos to make sure I had it pointing where I wanted .

The camera has three quick set settings so I'm going to run it for a week on the first setting and then I'll post an update.

Last edited:

Samoset

Have to say I'm fairly anxious to swap cards in that camera tomorrow after work. Here's to hoping it's not disappointing.

N

NantucketShedHunter

Post some sample pictures if you could please. Especially night ones.

davidhelmly

Have to say I'm fairly anxious to swap cards in that camera tomorrow after work. Here's to hoping it's not disappointing.

Lol, when I know I'm going to check cameras the next day I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve!! :banana::banana::banana:

Samoset

9 of 36

Well After walking around the mineral site a little today. I'm convinced until the trees are in full leaf and you can't see all the houses and such from the site we won't be seeing to much activity.

Out of 36 photos taken my self and my kids where in or had caused 27 of them. The remaining 9 where of one lone
Small deer that I've seen before.

The granulated trophy rock hasn't been touched . And when they get into that stuff it doesn't last long.

There where unfortunately no night photos. Is this do to camera malfunction ? Or to lack of activity? The verdict is yet to be determined.

These photos where taken using the quick set 1 setting on the camera. " 30 second delay three shot burst"

I swapped out the sd card and set the camera two quick set 2 and put out a Granny Smith that I would have rather eaten myself.

I'll let the camera run another week and check the card. I may walk out there one night to see if I can trigger some night photos. Probably take about 10-15 pounds of corn out there ;)

This is a very urban setting that is not hunted.

This time of year though you can see through the woods to the other neighbor hoods . My thought is that it has the deer avoiding it a bit.

In a few weeks you probably won't be able to see 70yards through it.

ill upload the photos when I get to the house.

Last edited:
N

NantucketShedHunter

It's a very very slow time of the year for deer for me.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
It's a very very slow time of the year for deer for me.

Samoset, I would think that your photo count should be increasing in volume at a fairly good pace now that you have a food source in place and the critters should be more active as they get used to that fact.

The deer and other wildlife activity on my property has never slowed down at all since hunting season ended. Based on 33 WGI trail cameras in use, I have tried my best to see just which bucks were shedding antlers and trying to pinpoint in what general area that some of these sheds may have fallen as well. I have only found two sheds so far but they were surely NOT the ones that I were actually looking for. I walked enough ground (both pasture, woods and heavy swamp) for 3 hours this past Sunday to hopefully find a few sheds but didn't find any at all. I am thinking that possibly the coyotes and other critters have been finding these sheds and taking them back to their dens etc. During this past week, I had several photos of bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, possums, squirrels, turkeys, and plenty of deer in all sizes as well. Some of these bucks still had both antlers and some with one side gone, and now a lot of them with both antlers already shed. One thing for sure, every kind of critter known is actively traveling every hour of every day it seems.

In fact, just during the past three weeks, my camera photo count has been as follows:

Week ending:

3-5-2107 Total of 5,018 photos (deleted 4,707)
3-11-2017 Total of 4636 photos (deleted 4,567)
3-19-2107 Total of 4437 photos (deleted 4,389)

N

NantucketShedHunter

Maybe try lowering the camera to between 2 and three feet. Problem with that is it would be spotted much easier by a knuckle-dragging mouth-breather who will steal it.

Samoset

Samoset, I would think that your photo count should be increasing in volume at a fairly good pace now that you have a food source in place and the critters should be more active as they get used to that fact.

The deer and other wildlife activity on my property has never slowed down at all since hunting season ended. Based on 33 WGI trail cameras in use, I have tried my best to see just which bucks were shedding antlers and trying to pinpoint in what general area that some of these sheds may have fallen as well. I have only found two sheds so far but they were surely NOT the ones that I were actually looking for. I walked enough ground (both pasture, woods and heavy swamp) for 3 hours this past Sunday to hopefully find a few sheds but didn't find any at all. I am thinking that possibly the coyotes and other critters have been finding these sheds and taking them back to their dens etc. During this past week, I had several photos of bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, possums, squirrels, turkeys, and plenty of deer in all sizes as well. Some of these bucks still had both antlers and some with one side gone, and now a lot of them with both antlers already shed. One thing for sure, every kind of critter known is actively traveling every hour of every day it seems.

In fact, just during the past three weeks, my camera photo count has been as follows:

Week ending:

3-5-2107 Total of 5,018 photos (deleted 4,707)
3-11-2017 Total of 4636 photos (deleted 4,567)
3-19-2107 Total of 4437 photos (deleted 4,389)

I've kept minerals on this site for three years now . Another gentleman about 5-700 yards from site . Runs a couple feeders year round.

I'm not even trying to feed much . Just want to see how this camera acts under different settings so when I deploy it in the field I have a little experience with it and know what to expect from it.

Samoset

Maybe try lowering the camera to between 2 and three feet. Problem with that is it would be spotted much easier by a knuckle-dragging mouth-breather who will steal it.

I was thinking it would help increase the amount of triggers but there is a good amount of foot traffic through this area so I'll probably be keeping it out of reach.