First Woodcock

cj580guitar

Lukas and I traveled to NC this week. Didn’t find many the first day but found quite a few this morning. After a couple of flushes Lukas finally found his groove and got his first bird. We had a great time and can’t wait to get back after them. CJ

Attachments

• IMG_6090.jpeg
    IMG_6090.jpeg
    685.1 KB · Views: 86

leroy

What do they taste like lol, how do yall cook them, never cooked one but to me they would taste like dirt lol

Bigearl68

What do they taste like lol, how do yall cook them, never cooked one but to me they would taste like dirt lol
They are rich in my opinion. Nice little appetizers when made in poppers. I wouldn’t want to sit down and eat five or six birds in a sitting like doves.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Cooking them well done destroys the flavor IMO. Might as well have calf liver on a stick well done. Medium rare is about right for me. The easiest and quickest way is to filet the breasts into two medallions and disjoint the thigh and cut from the backbone leaving drumstick intact on the thigh. Skinning the bird first makes this easier. Cut off wings, feet and head and skin from neck down towards the rear. Sautee in a little olive oil or butter, a minute and half on each side. Medium heat. Salt and pepper. I've cooked them whole successfully and takes a little more effort, but it involves plucking. Birds pluck easier than quail. Gil

cj580guitar

Cooking them well done destroys the flavor IMO. Might as well have calf liver on a stick well done. Medium rare is about right for me. The easiest and quickest way is to filet the breasts into two medallions and disjoint the thigh and cut from the backbone leaving drumstick intact on the thigh. Skinning the bird first makes this easier. Cut off wings, feet and head and skin from neck down towards the rear. Sautee in a little olive oil or butter, a minute and half on each side. Medium heat. Salt and pepper. I've cooked them whole successfully and takes a little more effort, but it involves plucking. Birds pluck easier than quail. Gil
Thanks Mr. Gil I was wonder the best way to cook them. How’s your season going so far ? Thanks CJ

GLS

Not saying its the best way, but a no fuss, quick way that is very good...Season is coming along. Just don't breast them out and then throw away legs and thighs. Legs and thighs are large--as big as quail legs and thighs and are delicious. Had a too snake friendly stretch of balmy weather that kept me out of the woods for over a week. Gil

GLS

Here's my favorite way. Plucked and sitting atop a roasting rack made from a coathanger. Cooked on high heat until the skin looks like this-5-7 minutes, basted once before cooking with olive oil, salt and pepper. Served smothered with separately sauteed chanterelles picked in the summer and vacuum bagged and frozen after cooking.

Attachments

• Cockongrill.jpg
    Cockongrill.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Cockonplate.jpg
    Cockonplate.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 18