Fish limit?

Southern_Buck

Ok so my dad, my 4 year old son and me are going fishing tomorrow, question is, if we catch our limit of fish do we have a 3 man limit or does my son fall under my limit?

WalkinDead

Banned
Children under 16 do not require a license. If your son catches the fish himself, he is allowed to keep the same number of fish you are. So, technically, you have a three person limit. What you can't do is catch over your limit and apply those fish to his limit.

JackSprat

Children under 16 do not require a license. If your son catches the fish himself, he is allowed to keep the same number of fish you are. So, technically, you have a three person limit. What you can't do is catch over your limit and apply those fish to his limit.

While you are technically correct, maybe, I have never seen that rule applied in Georgia. If you charter a boat, you can keep the mates limit, the captains limit, the cooks limits, and so on.

Freshwater trout require separate stringers because there is a regulation that says you must do so.

I have never seen that rule applied to other species fresh or salt, in Georgia (rxcept for a few cases which have a boat limit).

WalkinDead

Banned
Charter boat rules are different and require different licenses. The creel limits for residential licenses are per person, per day.

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/fishing/license-requirements/

"Anglers age 16 and older must have a current Georgia fishing license in their possession while fishing in fresh or salt water in Georgia."

http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/fishing/general-regulations/
  • It is unlawful to take in one day or to possess at any one time, except at a residence or commercial storage facility, more than the daily limit for each species. It is unlawful to possess more than a total of 50 individuals of all the game fish listed in this section, except channel and flathead catfish.
  • Once the daily limit for a particular species is taken, it is unlawful to continue to fish for that species.

Exception: Daily limits differ on certain waters shared by Georgia and South Carolina. See Agreements with Bordering States.

I believe the above agrees with what I posted. How this is enforced is up to the fish and game officers and whether they witness you keeping over your limit in order to apply it to another party members limit for residential license holders. The rules do not apply to privately owned ponds and no license is required to fish them by the owner or those he allows to fish them.
If the two adults obtain their limit, the child can continue to fish until he obtains his limit, at which time the days fishing is over. My opinion is the child can be helped, considering his age and capabilities, and would not go against the laws intent; nor would a fish and game officer be bothered by such help as they encourage taking your children fishing.
Hopefully, this will answer the question above.

Southern_Buck

Thanks for the information, I wasn’t real sure how it worked.

WalkinDead

Banned
Glad to be of help; hope you catch a limit of fish. Take pictures of your son catching them to share with him later in life. You both will enjoy the memories. My father took me every chance he could and I still enjoy it to this day.

Blackston

Could be a good lesson in Doin the right thing. As a boy I was taught every way to circumvent game laws ..... it helped my take me down a long dark road . Just sayin