Fishing in the heat

Sweetwater

If they aint biting top water, a 1/2 ounce striper jig tipped with a junebug twirl tail worm(I use an old monster with about 2 inches cut off the head) has worked great for me. My ex wife figgered this out one night when nothing was working. She casted it out, let it hit bottom, then slow rolled it with a low rod tip.
When that night bite is on, they absolutely murder the bait. There is no guessing whether you got a bite or bumping bottom like regular worm fishing. They hit it hard.

Fletch_W

Banned
As of Sunday in my private lake, the bluegills were all shallow. I also figured they'd be deeper due to heat, but they were right up on the bank in heavy cover. The bite was also very soft. If you are waiting for the bobber to take off and go under, you may be missing fish. It's like they would swim up to the cricket, suck it in, and then just "sit" there. Hardly any action on the bobber. Half the fish came from me reeling in to recast and finding out there's a fish on the other end.

And when I say heavy cover, I mean they were in it. If my bait was even a foot off the cover, I wasn't getting bites. I had to be in it. If you aren't losing hooks, you aren't in the cover good enough.

Good luck. Don't push your luck with the heat, fishing is supposed to be fun, not miserable.

Latest posts