Fishing the Hourglass

olcaptain

Fishing the Hourglass

An hourglass as you know, is made up of two bulbs and a small neck and is usually filled with sand. The purpose of this device is to measure time. If you are observant at all you soon realize that for the sand to get from the top bulb to the bottom it must first, pass through the neck.

EtXDVxH.jpg

Recently we have been fishing on our side of the Crooked Creek Bridge on Lake Sinclair. It reminds me a bit of an hourglass in that any fish moving from one part of the lake to another must pass through the neck or channel that goes under the bridge. I believe that if a fella is patient and sits on Main Street long enough, he will eventually catch a good one going through the neck!!

BlPQQw9.jpg

GTiATe7.jpg

T6P39u4.jpg

Knowing that today was going to be the last warm day for a while Max and I invited our friend Dick Joyner to go with us this morning to fish the “Hourglass.”

4wSd7pa.jpg

It was a bit foggy when we left the Dachshund’s Dock but soon we were on our way! The first thing I noticed was that Dick paddles much better than does Max and that made us all happy!

hkIcjb7.jpg

0YMmKct.jpg

Most of our trips to this area have been limited to about 4-5 hours round trip. That’s long enough to get there, fish a reasonable amount and return home safely. I have fished the Hourglass either four or five times now and I’ve done pretty well on all but one trip.

I love to watch Max and I always learn from him. He enjoys every trip and seems to never be disappointed. When he gets too cool, he goes below and gets in his bunk.

qeQHaXr.jpg

But when it warms up he is right back on deck!

Y5FfZga.jpg

I can’t think of an hourglass without remembering this famous line: “Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.” As the sands of time slipped through our fingers today we struggled a bit, but we finally did manage a mess of fish!

TWyiI4P.jpg

8ql241d.jpg

LEkN9gn.jpg

zFnTzpP.jpg

Ld0Ayf5.jpg

I don’t know how often we will get out over the weeks ahead but when the weather breaks, Max and I will return to the Hourglass. As far as we are concerned fishing there has been time well spent!

MsJL4DE.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Can't beat that! How is Max feeling about your new catfish addiction? :)

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Does Max prefer to lick the catfish more than the carp?

Eugene Stinson

did the chum work after we talked about it?

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great Pics and some nice looking and I am sure delicious fish.

Big7

The Oracle
Sound tactic in my book. :cheers:

I LOVE dat' dog!

Here's my long, floppy eared version:
Mr. Buck. :love:

He don't even know he's a dog. He thinks he's a kid.

He loves to hunt with me and find blood trails for
other folks that need a little help.

I've never had him in a boat though. :bounce:

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20160923_210045.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20160923_210045.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 259

olcaptain

Sound tactic in my book. :cheers:

I LOVE dat' dog!

Here's my long, floppy eared version:
Mr. Buck. :love:

He don't even know he's a dog. He thinks he's a kid.

He loves to hunt with me and find blood trails for
other folks that need a little help.

I've never had him in a boat though. :bounce:

They could be twins!