Fishing this week w/pics

Scout'nStripers

An old friend from the Navy (Bob) and his wife Pat flew in from Brooklyn to spend a few days with us at Cast Away Cove. We hadn't seen each other in over 30 years. Bob and Pat wanted to do a little fishing so we went out about mid morning on Friday morning and stayed out a few hours. Bob wanted to experience catching, cleaning, preparing and eating a fish he caught. Bob brought me the Stradic spinning reel as a gift so I told him we would fulfil his wish AND do it with 5lb test on the new reel he got for me. We put it on an Enigma rod with some 5lb test and I set the drag. I gave Bob the Stradic rig at our first stop and on his 3rd cast he caught his first Lanier Bass and got to feel that smooth Stradic drag. He caught another and then Pat brought a nice one in. Bob caught another and we kept a couple so Pat could make a grilled Thai dish with the bass called Pla Pao. We had surf and turf with a couple of Tri Tips to add to the fresh spotted bass. Pat also made a few other Thai dishes for us that were very delicious. Bob8.jpgBob3.jpgBob2.jpgBob1.jpgBob7.jpgbob5.jpgBob6.jpgIMAG0497.jpg

Last edited:

littlejon

Looks like a blast. I'm still rocking from yesterday being on Lanier. Man it was hot out and busy. Some pretty good waves. Couple nice one's on the SH. I reunite with my Navy buddies for a ship reunion after 35 years. I know that was fun for you and your shipmate!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice fish, but that meal looks absolutely phenomenal! :clap: Nice to see some of those spots go to some good use instead of just swimming around eating walleye fry and genetically polluting the smallmouth population. :bounce:

Scout'nStripers

Looks like a great day there Jim. Dinner looks even better shared with old friends.
It was awesome to have them and learn more about Thai culture. Pat grew up on a farm in Thailand and came to the US 6 years ago. She couldn't believe that we practice catch and release here. She said that in her country that would be unheard of.

Coenen

The prep on the fish looks really interesting, how'd it taste?

Scout'nStripers

The prep on the fish looks really interesting, how'd it taste?
It was good. It was stuffed with fruit and cilantro and rolled in kosher salt. The salt formed a hard coating that made it easy to remove the scales and skin after grilling. The bass was good and we dipped it in a unique oriental fish sauce.