Flint lock

logger12

Banned
Who knows much about them flinlock smok poles? I sure do thank those things are neat? Are they hard to use? I sure like the primative stuff.

lonewolf5347

A good tune lock will fire as fast as a percussion lock
even upside down
you just have to learn how to set -up your flint and the size of the touch hole for fast spark to the main charge.I seen guys load the primer pan full of powder and they think the more powder the faster the burn ,just not so.I load 2 grains 4F and try to tap the charge to the right of the pan and don't forget to use tom fuller black english flints:shoot::yeah:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
To me, they are the ultimate rifle. If you know anybody that ia close by, that has one, I`m sure they wouldn`t mind lettin` you shoot it. What is your major interest, shootin`, huntin`, re-enactin`, all of it? :D

logger12

Banned
Well there friend. I wouldnt know anything about reenactments but I would just like to shoot it and hunt with it . I like to feel like Im one of the real old timers when I walk in the woods.

wandering cowboy

Hey Nic how bad is the flash form the pan, especially shooting a flinter left handed???? I've been wanting to go flint but can't afford the costs of finding the leftand flinters I want?????

flyfisher76544

I am a lefty, the flash isn't bad at all. Just remember to stay focused on the target and follow thru.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hey Nic how bad is the flash form the pan, especially shooting a flinter left handed???? I've been wanting to go flint but can't afford the costs of finding the leftand flinters I want?????

I don`t know. It seems like the flash will be mighty close to your face.

wandering cowboy

I am a lefty, the flash isn't bad at all. Just remember to stay focused on the target and follow thru.

dang if you werent such a long drive away I'd offer to come down and see if you'd let me shoot a flinter left handed before I go buy one lol !!! Maybe I'll just buy a GPR flinter and if that works out I'll buy a longrifle later.

flyfisher76544

dang if you werent such a long drive away I'd offer to come down and see if you'd let me shoot a flinter left handed before I go buy one lol !!! Maybe I'll just buy a GPR flinter and if that works out I'll buy a longrifle later.

Plus GPR has em in lefty.

F.A.R.R.

I shoot left handed, shootin a right handed flinter left handed isn't any fun. It throws hot stuff into your face.

tv_racin_fan

Ain't no way you could convince me to shoot a right handed flinty left handed. Couple of my sons young friends mentioned something bout shooting our Black Powder rifles once or twice. So they come by to visit the son one day and I say today is as good a day as any. Well they went and got an even younger boy, which was no problem. BUT one of them boys was helpin the younger one and before I could think to mention that he didn't want to be on the wrong side helpin that youngin it was too late. The one boy still has black powder bits in his arm, them things spit fire out the touch hole...

I'm partial to the plains style rifles myself. I just like the idea of being able to take the barrel off and clean it in the tub and not have to worry bout water getting down between barrel and stock.

acmech

Stay away from Traditions rifles, the one my Dad got was total crap. First time he took it out, the main spring broke. Next he couldn't get it to fire, it just wouldn't make a lot of sparks when he fired it. On advice from a gunsmith he had to remove the frizzen, and harden it. Throws a shower of sparks now. His next problem, he loaded the gun, went hunting and when he cocked the hammer to fire at a deer, his replacement main spring from traditions broke again. His gunsmith buddy gave him a piece of springstock, told him how to make a replacement and heat treat it. After Dad made that spring, its been perfect for a couple years now.

wandering cowboy

Oh make isn't a big deal but the rifles I really want are a "pretty penny" so I may just settle for a go-between gun for awhile.

F.A.R.R.

You'll notice a difference in the more costly (custom) guns and the factory guns. The biggest difference is in the locks. Many factory flinters have a small lock, with a coil spring, which uses a small flint. Try to find one with a good lock, Silar is hard to beat. These bigger locks have much heavier springs, and use bigger flints which throw allot more spark- so the lock time is much better.

Also counterboring (drilling a cone shape) the touch hole goes a long way in quick lock times and reliable ignition

They do throw flame from both the pan and a back flash from the touch hole. After years of firing you can see the gas marks on the pan.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nicoedemous, What kind of gun is that in your picture thangy there?

That is a custom Davide Pedersoli flintlock longrifle in 50 caliber. It has double set triggers, a 39 inch browned barrel, a flint, chipped out by me, from Early County "blue ice", and the flashhole drilled out just a touch larger than normal. It shoots very well, and has taken numerous deer, with a 60 grain charge of FFFg pushin` a .490 patched round ball.

This rifle is styled after the Tennessee mountain rifles of the late 1700s. It does not have any of the fancy inlays or German silver decoration on it. This is a workin` piece.

duke13

I don`t know. It seems like the flash will be mighty close to your face.

It is right in front of your face. I been shooting a righty .54 lyman trade rifle lefthanded for 30 years and ain't never had a burn. Maybe someone is overpriming?

Nugefan

I shoot lefty and after shooting Chotawlb's right hander left handed the fire was " In my face " .....:eek::eek::eek:

I now have a left handed Great Plains Rifle ....:yeah::clap::cheers: