Florida 2019 ARS Season

Thread starter #1

Rabun

Am I correct that the 2019 ARS season for Florida begins June 11 and runs for 40 concurrent days? And that applies to both state and federal waters?

Got this today....
FWC Commission Gulf red snapper fishery update

At its February meeting in Gainesville, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) set the popular and economically important 2019 Gulf red snapper recreational season to open June 11 through July 12, with a possible fall reopening if quota is available.

This season will apply to those fishing from private recreational vessels in state and federal waters and to charter vessels that do not have a federal reef fish permit and are limited to fishing in state waters only.

Thread starter #4

Rabun

Beat me to it...a little shorter than last year...depending on a reopening or not. Looking forward to hooking up to some ARS (y)

trubluau

I will say that this is better than that 3 day season a few years back BUT, having a season that is only 4 weekends makes it very tough on working folks. I understand that this gives the most days of fishing while staying under the "quota" but if a couple of weekends have bad weather then this year will be a bust. I really enjoyed the season a couple of years ago where it was open every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day. The other issue is, I would like to know who comes up with these quotas. The snapper population is as good now as it has been in 20 years. I could of filled the boat on every trip last year from March to November. They are stacked EVERYWHERE! They need a system where only the boat owners/captains report how many fish they catch each trip. I can tell you how many ARS we caught on my boat last year really easily and accurately. There is no way that every single person who fished on my boat will get surveyed and give accurate numbers. There has to be a better way. Sorry for the soapbox.