Florida to impose limits on blackfin tuna

pottydoc

FWC even admits they have absolutely zero evidence that BFT are endangered in any way. And, I believe there will also be a size limit. They are not putting any kind of commercial limit on them. They’re getting as bad as the Gulf Council and the SAFM.

Edit to add I’m pretty sure they can’t enforce a State limit in Federal waters. I’m not sure where they came up with that. Also, the limit is two per person or ten per boat, whichever is more. Not two per person. Dolphin will be next, even though they have zero evidence to back up tightening either the size or amount of fish allowed.

Last edited:

pottydoc

There is most defiantly a commercial market for them. I’ve seen them in numerous restaurants over the years. Probably mostly by catch, but they still get caught and sold. If they are even remotely threatened, then there should be no commercial catch allowed. Not just blacks, any species of fish that has seasons and limits because it needs “protection” should have the commercial market closed to them.

asc

with an average of 70 lbs per trip in 2018 the commercial fishery is more of a bycatch instead of directed.

Gator89

Two per person would certainly be more than plenty for me. I would troll the neighborhood to give most of it away.

Big7

The Oracle
FWC even admits they have absolutely zero evidence that BFT are endangered in any way. And, I believe there will also be a size limit. They are not putting any kind of commercial limit on them. They’re getting as bad as the Gulf Council and the SAFM.

Edit to add I’m pretty sure they can’t enforce a State limit in Federal waters. I’m not sure where they came up with that. Also, the limit is two per person or ten per boat, whichever is more. Not two per person. Dolphin will be next, even though they have zero evidence to back up tightening either the size or amount of fish allowed.

I ain't sure Dolphinfish are that hard to find. I target them in Biscayne Bay, right off Turkey Point. I get a few footballs in the mix. Dolphinfish are by far, my favorite saltwater fish. Kings and Wahoo come in close, tied for 2nd place.

pottydoc

They aren’t hard to find. They’re cyclic, and every time we get a down year or so, people start crying about anyone who keeps more than a couple, and yapping about seeing some guy with a 5 gallon bucket full of them who’s tails barely stick out of the bucket. They go on about how many there used to be, without any consideration that there are way more people fishing for them now. Just because the average catch has went down, doesn’t mean there are less, they’re just spread over more people. Most of the folks griping are just doing it because they can’t catch squat, not because there’s fewer fish to catch.

jasper181

I have no problem with regulating them, it makes no sense to me that a dolphin is regulated but not a Blackfin. While I dont feel either are in much danger but to me ant Tuna species should have more strict regs than a dolphin that is basically the rabbit of the sea.