Floyds Island Okefenokee Swamp

T-N-T

I need to take my girl down there this weekend. Can anyone recommend the best tour to take. She wants to check it out first before we go kayaking. Lol

From Stephen c foster they offer a few tours daily. Same on the Folkston side.

Both look to be similar boat tours from what I've seen from my kayak as I pass them. Though I don't know how long they are

Heathern

BANNED
From Stephen c foster they offer a few tours daily. Same on the Folkston side.

Both look to be similar boat tours from what I've seen from my kayak as I pass them. Though I don't know how long they are

Yep.

The one from SCF is done by the refuge personnel. I'm not sure if they offer different types of tours, and I think theirs is probably pretty short.

The one on the Folkston side is commercial, I think. I saw it once while stopping there before I saw the Chesser Island Homestead (which is a very cool thing to see).

Panfish - I'm sure you can look up websites for each of the tours, and it might tell you everything you need to know.

But none of those tours go to Floyd's Island. That can only be accessed by personal canoes or kayaks.

panfish

I think we going to go to the park. And do the train and the boat.. And maybe some other stuff.. it's going to be hard not to take my kayak and rods.. lol

SASS249

The tour out of S. C. Foster is OK you get to see most of Billys Lake and get a pretty good idea of what the swamp has to offer. I am heading don next week myself. After doing multiple overnight trps on the canoe trails in the swamp I like staying at S. C. Foster and daytripping.

Another option is renting a canoe or johnboat and taking it out yourself. The swmp trails are readily marked and not hard to navigate. Hope you have a good trip.

T-N-T

I think we going to go to the park. And do the train and the boat.. And maybe some other stuff.. it's going to be hard not to take my kayak and rods.. lol

If you go to the Okefenokee swamp park in Waycross, you cant kayak or fish.... So that settles that

But if you head south on US1 for about 10-15 minutes there will be a sign on right for Kingfisher Landing. You can do both there.

killabig1

I did that trip to Floyds Island in a canoe about 15 years ago with 2 boys in April. Warm weather but not too bad. Saw over 100 gators including one that didn't want to get out of our way on the canoe trail. It started hissing at us so we had to paddle around it through the lily pads.
I don't recall it being that hard to get a permit, but it was a long time ago. A great adventure that all should try once - but never in the summer.

martinc

ezwater,
Love the stories and pics. As a teen we canoed the Swamp many times. It didn't hurt that we lived less than a hour away. Our scout troop used the swamp to get our canoeing badge. I haven't been back in over 30 years but its now on my short list.

Martin