Fly patterns and colors for Tybee/Savannah area.

speechless33759

Hey was wondering what kind of flies some of you guys have used succesfully down on the coast. What's the color of the water like? What colors should I be tying for the area?

crackerdave

I had some flies that a friend from the Jacksonville kayak forum sent me that were killers.They were mostly dark green and black "Clouser" type flies,but they were tied on circle hooks! I gave the last one to another friend to try to duplicate,or I'd post a picture of it.The smaller size ones were great on bass and crappie in fresh water,too.

One of these days I'm gonna learn to tie my own!

KINGFISHER

Our water color is stained which means we're usually using a darker colored pattern with the exception of chartreuse and pink. Black, orange and rootbeer, rust,copper,gold and browns are good colors to tie your patterns in. The three main types of forage we're trying to imitate in our area are baitfish, crabs, and shrimp. Good patterns for reds are Black Redfish Toads, Fiddler in the Grass, Rattle Flash Crabs, Estaz Marabou's, and of course Clouser Minnows. Trout will hit alot of the same things especially Clouser's. Havn't caught one on the fly yet personally, but I hear Tripletail are fond of tan and brown gurglers. I'm gonna try and see if I can connect with one on the fly on the 24th.

croaker

In addition to advice already posted.
Take some poppers, sliders... Trout like 'em occasionaly and some pink clousers.

Good luck,

croaker

PaulD

Banned
I'm not a huge fly fisherman. I mostly just stick to my light tackle. I can tell you though, Kingfisher is spot on with his advice! Chartuse, pink, rootbeer, pearl, etc. All will work at times, as will purple. Good luck!