Fly rod

tree cutter 08

Never fly fished other than using sons rod in the pond. Always spin fished for trout. Any advise for a rod and reel for the small trout streams? Just looking for something different.

BeefMaster

An Echo base rod in a 4 or 5 weight is easy on the pocketbook and provides alot of bang for the buck. I wouldn’t spend a bunch of money on a reel as all it does is store line on smaller weight rods and you are essentially the drag.
Another consideration ( I highly recommend) is a fiberglass Eagle Claw 5 wt. It has the old school fly rod feel that glass geeks like me love and it is very inexpensive. A stocker trout will bring a bend and grin every time.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As whitetailfreak said, most of the Cabela's combos are good quality for the money. Other good rods that aren't inflated for the name are the entry-level Redingtons, TFO, and Wetfly Element SE.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
An Echo base rod in a 4 or 5 weight is easy on the pocketbook and provides alot of bang for the buck. I wouldn’t spend a bunch of money on a reel as all it does is store line on smaller weight rods and you are essentially the drag.
Another consideration ( I highly recommend) is a fiberglass Eagle Claw 5 wt. It has the old school fly rod feel that glass geeks like me love and it is very inexpensive. A stock trout will bring a bend and grin every time.
I haven't tried the rods, but I have an Echo base reel that is about the best, most solid reel I have ever bought for $35.

BeefMaster

I came about my Echo under less than favorable circumstances. I was 45 minutes into a week long fishing trip spanning from Cherokee to the S. Holston River when the only rod I had at the time broke. The folks at the Tuskasegee Fly Shop saved my bacon with the Echo. It is a good nymphing rod for the price but I say with no reservation that it is a dry fly cannon and capable of a light presentation when the caster does his part.

Though I am now a complete fiberglass convert for rods both big and small, I still have the rod and it is my go to loaner when I am introducing somebody to fly fishing.

+1 for TFO as well. Their rods, customer service, and warranty policy is great.

Last edited:

Buckman18

Whitetailfreak gave great advice for a great fly rod. Also the Eagle Claw yellow 7’ 5/6 wt is just plain hard to beat to learn on. Amazon for about $25. I’ve used them for over 30 yrs.

BobbyG

ANTI-AMERICAN
I’m a newbie on this board; I echo the suggestions for rods and reels. The one thing I would add is don’t skimp on the fly line. If it comes down to a choice between spending more for the reel or the line, spend it on the line. Cheap lines don’t cast well or last long.

JC33

I didn't read over all the replies, so sorry if repetitive, but I'd say a 7.5 foot 4 weight and a very basic reel (don't really need a high end drag, if any) will do the trick for the small streams. As for rod action,I prefer a medium to slower action for my small stream rod. I like to use a double-taper fly line, but you may be okay with a weight-forward line if you prefer it. The reason for the DT line, however, is that it makes for a bit of a lighter, more delicate presentation and more importantly, it is easier to roll cast. You'll find the ability to roll cast comes in very, very handy on small streams where room is limited for any back casting. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I recommend maybe going beyond the rods/reels marketed as "beginner" or "entry level", but no need to over spend on super high end stuff either.

Oh and yeah, i agree with Bobby about the fly line. Don't skimp on the line...it's the most important component for future fly fishing happiness! I good quality line casts easier, stays slicker longer, last longer, etc!

jigman29

I have several reddingtons and will continue buying them. They are great rods with a no hassle return policy and they don't break the bank. If you shop around you can get a setup for well under 200 bucks. You are welcome to come cast any of mine and see how you like them.

TomC

Rio Gold is about as good of an all purpose line that you could use on multiple setups if you decided to change things up down the road. On the low end price wise I doubt you could beat an Echo Base setup. A nice step up but more $ an worth it IMO is the St. Croix Imperial and you could still use the Echo Base Reel. The Imperial has been around a long time and was updated not to long ago and is a GREAT caster and most reviews agree. The TFO Pro and Finesse are excellent as well. So many good inexpensive setups. Shop around online and you can find some GREAT deals. Sign up at FISHUSA. They run a 20% off sale about once a month. Sometimes I've gotten stuff in 2 or 3 days from FISHUSA and other times I've had to wait but saved a lot of $. Other places like Stillwater Fly Shop often include a line of you choice with a rod or reel setup and keep in mind a good line will cost $50-$80. Buy a vise too........tying is as fun as fishing!