Fly Tyin Pics

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Post flies you tie here. Post as much as you like. Here are some Clousers I tied for Recurve36.

Attachments

• Clouser 1.JPG
    Clouser 1.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 881
  • Clouser 2.JPG
    Clouser 2.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 869

Streamer

Ep minnow
ep.jpg

Snake flies
Picture045.jpg

Cowen's coyote
Picture035.jpg

Here's my striper boxes. I know, I know, It way to organized, but I have not had much time to fish lately.
halloween001.jpg

halloween002.jpg

Mr7mag

Flies

Great looking flies guys, and those fly boxes look like they are ready to go!

Ol' Red

Banned
Those gummies will catch anything that swims....Blane is a freaking genius when it comes to thinking up patterns....I was fortunate enough to learn from him when I lived in VA. Awesome guy.

Red

Racer X

Puglisiminnow.jpg

G-Shad.jpg

Rusty-Craw.jpg

Nice ties, Streamer. The snake flies look like a fly I tie. Mine are tied like a deceiver but with a BIG wool head. Great for night fishing.

Racer X

Those gummies will catch anything that swims....Blane is a freaking genius when it comes to thinking up patterns....I was fortunate enough to learn from him when I lived in VA. Awesome guy.

Red

I've fished a gummy minnow on several outings and didn't catch a thing. They have a good texture but absolutely no movement.

Ol' Red

Banned
I've fished a gummy minnow on several outings and didn't catch a thing. They have a good texture but absolutely no movement.

Man, you must not be stripping it right or something...I get plenty of action out of the commercial ones and the ones I tie.....I strip it, it lays up on it's side and BAM! Short fast jerks seem to work the best....

Red

Racer X

I'm a steamer fool, Red. I have many friends that chase all kinds of different fish and they've had the same result. I have found that other flies vastly outperform it. I may give it another try because I do like the feel of the stuff.

Streamer

The gummy minnow works well for me durring a winter time shad kill, and also when the stripers are tearing up a ball of baitfish near the surface, throw it in the mix and let it free fall, like it is dead.

Ol' Red

Banned
I'm a steamer fool, Red. I have many friends that chase all kinds of different fish and they've had the same result. I have found that other flies vastly outperform it. I may give it another try because I do like the feel of the stuff.

Hate to hear you and friends have had bad luck....I've seen 10 year olds catch bass on them.:huh: As a matter of fact, you are the only person I have ever heard of mention that they have not had any luck with them....from freshwather to salt, I've caught and seen it catch most everything. Give it another shot....

Red

Racer X

I guess it has it's place. I think I would get a better reaction out of some other patterns I use. I can understand where Streamer is coming from with fishing it as a dead or dying fish but not with a live retrieve. Put a wire though it and it may be different. Then you could manipulate the action by bending the wire. A friend of mine ties a pattern with a wire. Absolute KILLER during shad kills. The thing swims just like a stunned baitfish.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Wire,never thought of that but sounds like it would work.

Racer X

Paymaster,

My friend uses one of these to make the wire for the body... http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/commercial_tackle_maker.htm

The wire can be bent at any place along the body for manipulation. It produces the most realistic dying action I've ever seen in a fly. Its excellent below dams. We use a certain material for the body. He ties commercially and guides. I can put you in touch with him if you'd like. This type of fly fishing isn't for everyone, though. The water is rough and the rods and flies are heavy. But the fish can be very rewarding.

There is a certain dam up here that has dependable shad kills and has produced the TN state record rainbow. Both of these fish came from there...

Scottbow.jpg

aarons_big_brown.jpg

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I understand,but beating up others for theirs, I don't. That being said they should not beat you up for yours either.Flyfish'n is flyfish'n and how and why each of do it the way we do is as varied as each of us are. I don't scold the person that fishes Y2Ks and San Juan Worms. And don't want someone scolding me about fish'n with Beadhead Wooly Buggers with spinners on them.:bounce: It is all about having fun in the outdoors and at the ty'n bench. At the end of the day its just ty'n and fish'n.

Racer X

I give up. You guys don't get the point. The point is. Fish like I posted above are cheapened by pics of pellet heads. The trout fishing mentality is so skewed these days that most do not see a difference.

I don't give a rip what or how anyone fishes but I personally don't like it when someone claims a pellet head as the same thing. Those places offer an advantage to an angler of mediocre skill but by golly they don't admit it!

I don't scold the person that fishes Y2Ks and San Juan Worms.

I don't either. I fish with both, sometimes.

And don't want someone scolding me about fish'n with Beadhead Wooly Buggers with spinners on them.

Who is going to scold you for that? I've fished spoon flies many times in the past. I've also fished clousers with spinner blades on them.

At the end of the day its just ty'n and fish'n.

You'd have an entirely different viewpoint if fishing was how you made your living. The fishing industry is over 3% of the gross national product of this country. I don't like misinformation that steals business away from me.

btw, if it's just fishing for you, why on earth would you moderate a forum that is dedicated to fly fishing? Seems to me that it's more than JUST fishing to you, it's more like a passion. It seems to me that it brings you great enjoyment. The JUST fishing mentality is the very one that equates all fishing as being the same. It's not about the way a person fishes, it's what they understand about it. Nobody likes for their livelihood to be cheapened by imitations.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Is the fact ,that it is your livelihood ,that is clouding your view. To the rest of us it is recreation.It is being out in the outdoors and enjoying life! If in fact it was my livelihood I would probably see it more your way. But because it is not,I cannot see it from your point of view. So I will concede that. But I have many Recreational Passions and I don't go on Message Boards and knuckle peoples heads because they have a different way they do it. That's all. I hate high fences ,baiting and canned hunts.I have expressed my view on these items often.But I did so without loss of respect for the others that have a different take on the subject. But if where you are it is legal, have at it. If you are in violation of the law or the rules of this forum then you may expect me to fire away. No one in the other posts were in violation of any law nor were they in violation of the rule of this forum. However,Steamer was the author of his thread and asked for pictures to be posted,not a debate over pellet pigs versus stream bred wild fish. You want a debate, start your own thread and as long as it is civil and no name calling gets started I will stay out of the way.

Racer X

Show me where I showed loss of respect with a request to see anything but pellet fed trout.

Is the fact ,that it is your livelihood ,that is clouding your view.

I have the clouded view but someone that accepts a pellet head as being an equal to a native, wild, or wild raised fish isn't clouded in your eyes?

It has nothing to do with my livelihood. I had this view before I started guiding, and after I quit.

Why the heck come to Tennessee, Arkansas, Michigan, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, California, Alaska, Patagonia, New Zealand..... If you can catch trout just as big in Georgia? Why even go to these places when a person could stock a cattle pond and do the same thing? I'm accused of having a character flaw...A CHARACTER FLAW...if I think there is a difference in a cattle pond caught trophy and one caught on the South Holston.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Show me where I showed loss of respect with a request to see anything but pellet fed trout.

The fact that it was not your thread. Streamer asked for flyfishing pics. He had no specific species nor requirement for how the fish was reared. His title was Unlimited Fly Fishing Pics. He asked for pics. Got it yet? Good look'n flies in post #5 BTW. I am done.:banginghe