Fly tying materials

fish hawk

Bass Master
Where do you purchase your fly tying supplies?Getting back into some tying and just priced out the materials I need to tie some clousers,deceivers,buggers and stealth bombers from cabelas,$ 60.00 sounded kinda steep.I know I can purchase some stuff from hobby lobby but still some items you cant find there..

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I order so much stuff in my daily life from the web.

However, when it comes to tying, I've always liked to lay hands on it before I buy it. I like to inspect feathers and fur instead of just ordering it. Sometimes, color isn't represented truly online and I like to ensure what color I'm getting. BPS has a pretty good stock, as does Cabelas. You may pay a bit of a premium, but I like to buy most of my tying supplies from local flyshops. Of course, I don't tie near as much as I used to, so I don't really spend much at all these days.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fly shops and the internet. Mostly local fly shops, for the reasons NGS stated. Fly tying isn't cheap. There are no sources of cheap materials, for the most part. Except for those you get yourself. Hunting can nab you a lot of good materials for free.

sasmojoe

I order my material from Dakota Angler( free shipping over 30), been pleased with the materials I received.
Unicoi outfitters in Helen has a good selection as well.

Tentwing

When it comes to saddles, capes and pelts I like o put hands on before I buy, but some stuff ( beads, hooks,dubbing etc... ) I can find online or e- bay cheaper than local. Fishwest.com is a cheap reliable source, and Feather-crafters is hard to beat.

Tentwing

fish hawk

Bass Master
Thanks, unfortunately I dont have a fly shop within a hundred miles or a cabelas,bass pro for that matter.I found some pretty reasonable prices on amazon.Orvis has some decent prices also and the shipping is fair.Is their a good substitute for saddle hackles for tying wooly buggers?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, unfortunately I dont have a fly shop within a hundred miles or a cabelas,bass pro for that matter.I found some pretty reasonable prices on amazon.Orvis has some decent prices also and the shipping is fair.Is their a good substitute for saddle hackles for tying wooly buggers?

You can get that strung cheap hackle that works great for buggers for a lot less than saddle hackle. I like it better than saddle hackle, actually-it's not as stiff and pulses better in the water.

Tentwing

I understand . The closest place for me is Cabelas in Ft Oglethorpe Georgia a little over a 100 miles. One option I use when I can't personally touch or see the material I want to buy is to call Feather-Craft 1-800-959-1707.
The young lady who answers the phone has no problem letting me talk to someone in the store who is a " fly tyer" . The guy who I usually talk to is alway familiar when I describe the qualities tha I'm looking for in a particular feather or fur, so far he has picked winners for me each time.
He also is good about letting me know when they don't have anything on the shelf that really meet whatever particular standard I'm looking for, so he doesn't waste my money. That's probably what I like best about that shop.
BTW if anyone knows where I can find any dark Olive Guinea feathers with mostly small spotting in the feathering drop me a line. Lately hens teeth are easier to find.��

Tentwing