Fly tying matterial

Good evening everyone. I'm starting into fly tying recently. I was wondering what some common/ materials are that I can stock up on when they go on sale? Things that are commonly used in a variety of flies. Thanks.

jigman29

decide what flies you want to tie then get the materials list and go from there. But as far as generic stuff I would get threads, dubbing and different hair patches.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I would also get various colors and sizes of chenille, black and olive strung marabou. Get some peacock herl and some pheasant tail as well. Different colored turkey biots would also be handy.

sasmojoe

As far as online places to buy fly tying stuff, I use Dakota angler, they have a good selection of materials and you get free shipping on orders over $30, they ship out quickly.

Thanks y'all. I'm quickly realizing this flying tying can get pricy if a person isn't careful. But it's so nice being able to do an outdoorsy activity even when it's raining haha.

BeefMaster

I try to do business at my local shop (Cohutta Fish Co.) when possible, but I get a lot of materials from Feathercraft Fly Fishing, Bearsden, and EBay. Fly Tiers Dungeon is another good place for synthetic materials.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I spend a lot of money with flyshack to buy materials. I use a lot of elk hair.

I might add that I have purchased a lot of stuff I don't use and may never so if you have a need to try something you might asked for a small sample. pm so I wouldn't miss the request.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you're talking about trout flies? The stuff I go through the most of:

Brown and grizzly and ginger hackles
peacock herl
various dubbing
tungsten beads
hooks
thread
lead wire
micro-chenille