Foodplot prep

SRShunter

So how do yall plant your fall plots? Disc the ground really good to kill weeds grass etc then wait a week or so then spread fertilizer disc in and plant the same day? I always hear about good seed to soil contact and a good level seed bed. Understand smaller seeds can just be broadcast then walk away, but the bigger seeds can you just lightly disc in then run a drag over it like a section of chain link fence or do you really need a cultipacker? I'm definitely not a farmer we have a small tractor with a bushhog and set of disc and a earthway hand seeder that's all. Just want to do it the best we can with the supplies we have. We have limed and are pH's are in the low 6's. We're planning on planting oats, wheat, cereal rye, crimson, and medium red clover. Probably some brassicas too. Any tips would be greatly appreciated or some old forums yall could direct me to would work as well. Main concern is how to plant it right with what I'm working with

baddave

the hardest part to me is getting rain when you need it.. sounds like you know what you're doing and you have the right stuff

shdw633

Like baddave said.....Rain...Rain...Rain. Best tip is to try and watch the forecast and get it in just before the rains come. We will cut in mid-August and spray to kill any weeds, then wait a couple of weeks, then I will till (or disc) the field; once that is complete I will throw dolomite out and big seed and lightly till them in, then throw small seed and run a drag over it......THEN PRAY FOR RAIN!!!! I will come in once the field has sprouted and throw fertilizer when I see rain coming. If you really want to have huge success, figure out a way to keep the deer out until the field gets up, I am using the plotsaver method this fall in an attempt to keep the deer off them for a few weeks.

Last edited:

southernman13

Sounds like your on the right track. Biggest mistake I think to be made is planting too early. The weather has changed. We always planted Labor Day in the past. Anymore I plant mid to late October. Your stuff will come up and grow like Crazy before the deer are ready to eat it if you plant early. Then it’s tall and bitter. That’s been my experience anyway. Good luck. I can’t believe it’s already time to start planning for the fall plots!!!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I would recommend spraying glysophate on the plot at least 2-3 weeks ahead of any soil disdurbance.You will need to spread fert/ cereal grain first and turn/ drag in(1/2-1" is best) ,Then spread the clovers and brassicas on top. You can use your truck/UTV/4 wheeler tires for a cultipacker after that.

Last edited:

BCPbuckhunter

Like baddave said.....Rain...Rain...Rain. Best tip is to try and watch the forecast and get it in just before the rains come. We will cut in mid-August and spray to kill any weeds, then wait a couple of weeks, then I will till (or disc) the field; once that is complete I will throw dolomite out and big seed and lightly till them in, then throw small seed and run a drag over it......THEN PRAY FOR RAIN!!!! I will come in once the field has sprouted and throw fertilizer when I see rain coming. If you really want to have huge success, figure out a way to keep the deer out until the field gets up, I am using the plotsaver method this fall in an attempt to keep the deer off them for a few weeks.
I recommend putting your solution in a 5 gallon bucket and then put the roll of fence to soak in the bucket for a while before you put the fence up. Works a lot better than spraying. I did it this way and it lasted 3 weeks before I had to apply anymore solution. It worked great for me.IMG_2857.JPG