For you gear heads...Pack Review

splatek

UAEC
For kicks and giggles, today I loaded everything up in my EXO 1800 with lid the same way I had my Stryker xl setup last season just to see how it’d feel. This is my saddle, binos, windproof natural gear heavy fleece vest, puffy rei jacket, kill kit, first aid, clippers, nalgene, couple snacks, orange vest, knee pads, phantom platform, 3 skeletor sticks. All in and snugged up, the biggest first impression I had was that it felt more “locked in” on my back walking around the woods here at my house than the Stryker did.

The Stryker was easier to load the shelf, but because of that easy access, it was a little less solid feeling than the EXO seems to be. Some of that think comes from how the EXO gives with you but doesn’t slop around. I remember playing with the attachment points and always switching back and forth on the Stryker to get either more compression when more empty, or easier access to the bag zipper when full. In a way it was nice to have that easier loading shelf, but for now I’m thinking the limited options on the EXO actually make it more streamlined and I’ll just strap to the outside all the time anyway.

I also tried to run the platform and sticks in the load shelf and didn’t love it on the EXO, that’s where the Stryker wins. You’d have to either have the sticks sticking way up high, or play with the bottom pack connection straps on the EXO which I wouldn’t want to do every trip.

For an all day pack, this is my favorite setup so far. I had some other semi-framed day packs like the eberlestock x2 and shapecharge. But for load-shelf, bag-off types, only the Kifaru to compare. Figured if anyone was considering the EXO this may help clarify options.
View attachment 1158646
View attachment 1158647View attachment 1158648View attachment 1158649View attachment 1158650

You got a weight on that set up? Did I miss that?

rnfarley

You got a weight on that set up? Did I miss that?

I didn't get one all in - the bag weighs 18.6 now without the platform, sticks and water. So all in I'd guess it's about 30ish (~9 lbs for the 3 sticks and plaftorm, plus saddle and water.

Last edited:

rnfarley

Those sticks look pretty far away from your center of gravity. That’s a testament to the pack that it still carries well.
Great review.

I was impressed too. I think it’s because the lashing straps are sewed together with the side compression straps which are directly on the frame. So it’s practically all strapped directly to the frame to lock it in with no bag play involved.

I also rigged it up the sticks and platform in the load shelf to see how it performed. This carried better from a balance standpoint, but I think would be more cumbersome sticking out the sides like that walking through brush.
51E6D3DE-0828-4662-AE2A-10BFFB6A81F9.jpeg00628E71-4193-487F-9BB3-F858A1A9B77B.jpeg

splatek

UAEC
I didn't get one all in - the bag weighs 18.6 now without the platform, sticks and water. So all in I'd guess it's about 30ish (~9 lbs for the 3 sticks and plaftorm, plus saddle and water.

That sounds about right? I am not a weight nazi, so to speak, but it does matter when walking up and down hills.

I've been working with my pack setup this morning and I do not like the sticks and stand attached to the outside of the pack, but I guess that's an option. My sticks in the beavertail are unlikely to work.

Are y'all hiking in with these setups for a day hunt? At the suggestion of a few hunting buddies, I've trimmed up my walking in pac setup; then just walk back to the truck for the meat pack if I knock something down. Anyone do that sort of thing?

rnfarley

That's what I did most of last year until I had to make the trip a mile back to the truck at dusk and then quarter and pack one out in the dark cold and was cussing the whole time for not just having the frame with me to save 2 trips.

My hope with the EXO is that it's nimble enough to compromise and have a frame with me all the time just in case. The sticks on the back like that worked pretty good on my Stryker XL when I did it, and I used a Kuiu Venture 2300 or a Shapecharge as a day pack the same way with the sticks on the outside. I would sometimes do them off to one side but found the balance of centerline was easier to hike with than the sticks on one side. These skeletors are longer than my old novix mini sticks which folded to one side and were more compact.

I'm not sure there's a great way to carry sticks in general, that's the hard part. And I'm not sure there's any disadvantage to carrying them on my EXO with a frame than my shapecharge day pack - if anything it's more tight and solid with less slop which makes hiking easier.

My EXO 1800 is actually lighter than my Shapecharge with the Sherman pocket on it by a few ounces. I figured that if it was within a pound or two for the raw bags, and I could get one that carried really well, why not just have a frame with me and save the hike. I may eat those words though ha.

splatek

UAEC
That's what I did most of last year until I had to make the trip a mile back to the truck at dusk and then quarter and pack one out in the dark cold and was cussing the whole time for not just having the frame with me to save 2 trips.

My hope with the EXO is that it's nimble enough to compromise and have a frame with me all the time just in case. The sticks on the back like that worked pretty good on my Stryker XL when I did it, and I used a Kuiu Venture 2300 or a Shapecharge as a day pack the same way with the sticks on the outside. I would sometimes do them off to one side but found the balance of centerline was easier to hike with than the sticks on one side. These skeletors are longer than my old novix mini sticks which folded to one side and were more compact.

I'm not sure there's a great way to carry sticks in general, that's the hard part. And I'm not sure there's any disadvantage to carrying them on my EXO with a frame than my shapecharge day pack - if anything it's more tight and solid with less slop which makes hiking easier.

My EXO 1800 is actually lighter than my Shapecharge with the Sherman pocket on it by a few ounces. I figured that if it was within a pound or two for the raw bags, and I could get one that carried really well, why not just have a frame with me and save the hike. I may eat those words though ha.

Yeah man, that's where my head is at right now, fortunately for me, last season resulted in almost all AM kills or early afternoon, still out by about nightfall.
But I know that was pure luck...

ddd-shooter

That sounds about right? I am not a weight nazi, so to speak, but it does matter when walking up and down hills.

I've been working with my pack setup this morning and I do not like the sticks and stand attached to the outside of the pack, but I guess that's an option. My sticks in the beavertail are unlikely to work.

Are y'all hiking in with these setups for a day hunt? At the suggestion of a few hunting buddies, I've trimmed up my walking in pac setup; then just walk back to the truck for the meat pack if I knock something down. Anyone do that sort of thing?
I strap my climbing stand to the kifaru and hike it in every hunting trip. If I kill, I'm good to either make two trips with the stand or potentially leave the stand, or make all the meat strap to the stand and try to hoof it all in one trip.
The weight of the kifaru is offset in my mind by the ease with which it carries my climber for me. I keep a kill kit in the bag, and any necessary layers.

rnfarley

19 pounds without your stand? What's in the pack?

it was a hair under 19 with the stuff listed above minus the platform, sticks, saddle, and nalgene. So that was loaded down like a late season all day hunt. I had snacks, kill kit, light first aid kit, very heavy windproof fleece vest, puffy jacket, big hand muff, 8x42 binos in a marsupial harness, orange vest, etc. packed up like I'd grab the bag and then grab the stands/sticks and toss in the truck to go hunt. I'd take the bino harness out to wear on my chest once hunting which is 2.3 lbs. I was just trying to get a general setup idea more so than a final weight FWIW

The EXO itself weighs 5.5lbs naked with the 1800 bag and is 6lbs with the lid and belt pouch.

My Shapecharge day-pack weighs 4.3lbs naked. When I added the sherman pocket and belt with a pocket it was actually a little over the EXO so I figured why not just have the frame all the time.

Swampdogg

@splatek I hike with everything needed to complete the hunt . I also hike with water and enough snacks to feed 2 people throughout the day (bottomless pit of a stomach) . I ended up in a **** hole a few miles from the truck just looking for better sign when I got my bear. If you have everything with you that saves the double trip just to go get the things needed to get the critter out unless you wanna Haines it out on your back but then you still gotta get your gear so still a double trip. If hunting not far from camp then I would probably just go in super light. Also depends on weather, I’d hate to lose anything from meat to hide wasting time hiking out then back in .

splatek

UAEC
This is my easy in light setup. DIY saddle modeled after several market saddles but this one doubles as my tree stand harness as well. on the left I have my pull up rope, extra screw in step or two, flashlight, and I’m sure one or two other things. On the right is my coffee holder. In the middle is 16-18L bag that’s easily disconnected and attached under my seat in the stand. It’ll hold water, hydration tabs or salt gum, snacks, lunch; extra knife, game bags, contractor bag (vacuum sealer to save space) , paracord, compass, charger, and other nick nacks.

It ain’t pretty but it’s light and comfy.

354A32BA-F16B-4C7A-9D73-4B558ACA1E84.jpeg
The pacifier stays at home. lol

I’m currently remachining some climbing sticks so they lay flat which will make packing then in with my big haul frame pack a dream. Will they be safe, still testing.

Mattval

For all you gear heads that 1) like to debate what piece of gear is best (packs in this situation) and 2) have way more money to spend on this stuff than me, you might like this:

This fella spent a ton of his own money on 5 major brands of packs and did a pretty good objective analysis resulting in a rank order of packs. The caveat he mentions is that there is going to be some personal variability, either based on personal fit preferences and/or brand fidelity. I heard his review on the hunt backcountry podcast. One thing I found interesting is that KUIU and Mystery Ranch didn't even consider listening to his suggestions. I am still using a pack that's not on this list, because of budget and because no matter how many times Clay Newcombe refers to bear hunting as "the sheep hunt of the south" it's actually not the same.
Yeah I think the "Sheep hunt of the south" is kinda dumb. But still a big fan of Clay Newcomb.