For you hunters 55 and older

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Great idea.

Gentlemen
The place Miguel mentions is a popular breakfast restaurant in Monroe Ga. Walton county. That’s about 20 miles west of Athens and 30 miles east of Stone Mountain.

Maybe we could pick a Saturday morning before the ? season gets here.

Miguel based on the response thus far we won’t need to reserve any tables huh?

Muldoon

I'm 78 and if I make this coming season it will be my 68th season of deer hunting and I've killed lots of bucks and I don't intend to quit until they pat me in the face with a spade! I don't look a bit different from this photo my son took of me with a buck in 2014 for better or worse however it may be received!

Kansas Buck by Sharps Man, on Flickr

And I'm gonna do my best to stick a .58 caliber PRB through this dude's rib cage when season opens!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You old geezers ;) be careful if you are going out hunting in this heat.

georgia_home

MM,

this is my first year hunting the left coast.

base elevation, iirc, around 4k feet. peaks 8-11k.

hoping things go well. just figure to go slow, and see how this big old fat boy does with a scouting trip this weekend.

thankfully, it's only mule deer, as opposed to mountain sheep. but i am thinking these places will make cohuta and war woman look like flat land.

i reckon if i gotta go, doing something hunting related would be the way to do it.

looking like the temp range will be 50-90 this weekend.

You old geezers ;) be careful if you are going out hunting in this heat.

Jack Ryan

All this points to an aging hunter population.
Let's all do our part to recruiting some new young hunters.

I just don't get all this "We need to recruit new... this or that." Need millennial Harley riders, we need to get the kids hunting, we need what ever.

If you have to recruit, I'd rather they just stuck with golf.

No one ever recruited US. We just saw something we wanted to do, learned about it and started doing it. If people don't want to do something I like, I say GOOD. Leave it alone.

Jim Boyd

I am 80, bow only, hunt alone, hunt several different places, use Summit climbers and PSE bow. Car loaded and ready to go several times a week for four months.

I’ll be 62 this season.

20’ up suits me fine.

I hunt Illinois by myself and think nothing of it, in fact - I like it.

I’d like to rock along another 20 years so BowArrow is an inspiration!!

poohbear

I'm 57 the fire is still burning but will have to admit it has wained some but still enjoy going and watching the son and grandson enjoy hunting. It warms my heart when just the other day they come to me and said PaPa the the other grandson calls me Pop Pop " we are ready to go to the farmhouse" that's what they call the Hunting prop. I guess time goes on and it's time for the young bucks to take over. But I'm going to hang with them as long as I can.

jav

61 and still get after it. Gave up lock on stands a couple years ago, just to dangerous hanging by myself. I will be there until I can't.

kickers

Miguel mentioned in another thread that us older codgers need our own sub forum. That probably aint gonna happen but here something I will add.

I have a good friend who is like me and has some health issues that have slowed him down. He has chosen to give up on hunting and the outdoors all together. :confused:

I am gonna give up about 2 days before the funeral personally.

This will be my first year in awhile. Haven’t hunted in six years due to health issues but I’m gonna hunt all I can this year ?????

wvdawg

Staff member
Just purchased my Senior Lifetime license today. My son bought me my first new deer rifle in 40+ years as a gift. Can't walk quite as fast as I used to, but still using ladder stands and ground seats just like always. Going to keep after them as long as I can and love spending time with my sons and grandsons in the woods.

MCBUCK

55 tomorrow. 09/12 and still go just like always. I get a bit aggravated finding good properties that hold quality deer. But still have my holes that at least have some deer. It is a bit harder to hunt the highlands like I did but I still hike a few ridges.

MYRX

64 here. I hunted opening day on new property. Had a spike in velvet feed under me for 18-20 min. Watched him walk off feeding in a new cut area. Still enjoy getting after them. The heat reminded me that I did not reduce enough in the off-season as was my goal LOL. My ole blue hunting truck stays loaded to go.

wvdawg

Staff member
55 tomorrow. 09/12 and still go just like always. I get a bit aggravated finding good properties that hold quality deer. But still have my holes that at least have some deer. It is a bit harder to hunt the highlands like I did but I still hike a few ridges.

Happy Birthday!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
6CA24235-206D-4D94-B73F-801791A89FF5.jpegHere is a pic from last bow season. I had pretty much given up bow hunting until my oldest grandson got interested. The day I got this buck was the first time he and I ever bow hunted together. I put him on what I felt was the best place. But as it worked out I was in the right place at the right time. September 16, 2017.
But being older and having a grandson to encourage me worked out. C482BDA0-D202-49AE-9FF8-9AC635656AC6.jpegC482BDA0-D202-49AE-9FF8-9AC635656AC6.jpeg

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Here is a pic from last bow season. I had pretty much given up bow hunting until my oldest grandson got interested. The day I got this buck was the first time he and I ever bow hunted together. I put him on what I felt was the best place. But as it worked out I was in the right place at the right time. September 16, 2017.
But being older and having a grandson to encourage me worked out.
Nice buck and even better memories.