For you hunters 55 and older

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Great, healthy looking deer, MM!

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
He weighed 195. Glad I had my son and grandson with me.
I was going to say, not only do you have a hunting partner, you have a loading partner. :bounce: That big boy right there would be hard to load by yourself.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was going to say, not only do you have a hunting partner, you have a loading partner. :bounce: That big boy right there would be hard to load by yourself.

Cameron has been a deer killer since he was 7 with a gun. I’m glad he is getting into bow hunting too. He got a yote with the bow 716E5058-0BDB-484A-BC22-B7F798E637F8.jpega few days ago.

Little story about older hunters . We maybe slower but we see more in our observations in the hunting woods . I am 67 and move lots slower than I did 50 years ago . Can anyone top this story ? I was scouting on a hillside the other day when a sparkle in the leaves that looked like a dew drop caught my eye being curious I looked again I bent down and picked it up to my surprise I had a diamond in my hand . My Twin brother was with me and I ask him to look at what I had found he looked in the palm of my hand and said nobody will ever believe us .
This is a true story . Squirrelman43

DeweyDuck

I am 82, a cancer and heartfailure survivor, and I'll be chasing deer in SW GA this season, just like the years before, until my Father and my God calls me home. That's the way I want to live and the way I want to go home. I'd love to go hunting with Nic just once before I do go home.
joe I'll be 81 in Nov. Still at it but takin long range shots now; don't need to wory about scents or noise at that range. Got one at 390 last year, 1 shot through the heart, prolly gonna extend that this year. Got a shooting bench set up at 500 yards from where I hope to spot one. Trying out some great handloads for my 7 mag this year. And I'm not just taking pot shots; I practice a lot and am shooting 2 inch groups at 300 and 6 inch at 500.

Last edited:

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
That's awesome that y'all are still hunting. I hope I'm able to do that when I'm "seasoned".

My granddaddy killed his last deer at 97 if I remember correctly. He shot "her" out the window of his hunting camp. He told me "she won't be in my collard patch anymore".

Oh yeah, it wasn't doe season either. Lol
He lived to the ripe old age of 104.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Anyone want to tell their cataract surgery results? I just had my first eye done and so far so good.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Anyone want to tell their cataract surgery results? I just had my first eye done and so far so good.

I have them in both eyes, was diagnosed two weeks ago. Looks like I`m gonna have to do something about the everlasting things.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Marvin, you know most of my story but for others....

Cataract surgery was a non-event. Toughest thing I had to endure was multiple needle sticks while they were trying to find a vein for the IV. I wore a fiberglass cover over the eye at night for the first week. No bending over and I couldn't lift anything heavier than ten pounds. After seven days the doctor released me with no restrictions. I was shooting doves on the eighth day.

I did have to take eye drops for four weeks and that finished up yesterday.

Back to my regular eye physician today. She double checked things and said everything looked great. Ordered new glasses (my existing prescription for the eye I had the surgery on is no good with the improved vision).

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Went for my 1 week follow up today. We decided to go ahead and do the other eye next month. He says that I will likely only need reading glasses after that.

danlnga

Did well with my son till he went to college. Think he likes the women folk and drankin better. Workin on my grandsons now. Stage iv throat cancer and all the health issues and procedures that come with it have slowed me way down. I'm 51

Same here til he went to college. Now he knows it all. Changes jobs once a year & we don't hear from him much since he disrespected his mother in front of me. He will not do that again. Guess I am just old fashioned that way.

danlnga

Went for my 1 week follow up today. We decided to go ahead and do the other eye next month. He says that I will likely only need reading glasses after that.

My wife had it last year (Oct 2017). Just be sure to follow the routine exactly with the schedule for the drops afterwards & it should be OK. My wife can see better now than she ever did. She is 79.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My wife had it last year (Oct 2017). Just be sure to follow the routine exactly with the schedule for the drops afterwards & it should be OK. My wife can see better now than she ever did. She is 79.

Yep
Finishing my third week with the drops now. I will finish on the 16th with my left eye and then start back with my right eye on the 19th.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve just been diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes. Reckon a good time to get them taken care of will be just as soon as deer season ends, and hope I`m healed up good before turkey season starts.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I`ve just been diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes. Reckon a good time to get them taken care of will be just as soon as deer season ends, and hope I`m healed up good before turkey season starts.

The

My doctor said the healing is complete when you finish the month of putting drops in. So if you are doing both it will be a month for each eye.

Also if you don’t already know it there are two options on the implants. One is distance vision only. The other is distance and reading combined. Most insurance doesn’t cover the full cost of the combination type.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If anyone young is reading along be aware us older folks require more maintenance.

I got both cataracts fixed in November and December. Now I am going to get a shoulder fixed.
Orthopedic doctor is going to do a repair on some tears and spurs with a scope. Hopefully I can recouperate and get the therapy over in time to enjoy some deer farming in a few months.

Last edited:

Latest posts