Force Fetching a 4 year old setter

nrh0011

Last summer I bought a 4 year old Llewellin (dog in my avatar). She has a decent natural drive to retrieve, BUT it is neither to hand or as sharp as I would prefer. She is a very docile dog, and picks up on things pretty quick. I just wanted to ask if there is anything you would do differently or consider as compared to force fetching a younger dog.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,
NRH

Killinstuff

I wouldn't FF a soft 4 year old setter you didn't raise from a pup. You can try playing fetch in the back yard with frozen birds to boost the fun of fetching making a game out of it but other than that, I'd just be happy with what you have.

nrh0011

I wouldn't FF a soft 4 year old setter you didn't raise from a pup. You can try playing fetch in the back yard with frozen birds to boost the fun of fetching making a game out of it but other than that, I'd just be happy with what you have.

I'm listening. Enlighten me on why you think that?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
We had a setter that couldn’t handle a firm hand. Handle her rough and she kept her distance even if I was playing around her and the other dogs at the same time. She would retrieve but only for my father on birds he shot. She never brought one to his hand but would lay it down two foot from him. Bird pointing machine is the only reason she stayed. Four years old and soft handling you will need to be careful not to make her bird shy.

nrh0011

Understood. She hunts well, and is definitely a very soft dog. My thought is that she will take to it pretty quickly without too much discipline. I was going to play it by ear...