Forecasting weather with hummingbirds

gunnurse

Has any noticed or documented future winter weather using hummingbird behavior? I know that a big increase in transient population occurs during migration just prior to Fall. The first hint of cool weather, and they’re gone.

I have had a vast increase in hummingbirds this week. This is sooner than the concentrations in the past. To me, that’s an interesting thought. What does anyone else think?

Attachments

• 82ECD571-CE61-4150-87AE-7B320BE8DFAD.jpeg
    82ECD571-CE61-4150-87AE-7B320BE8DFAD.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 8

sinclair1

I use miggy, but Nature will tell you everything you want to know. I am too lazy to pay attention half the time. I can however use plants and lawns to forecast changes and future seasons. :cheers:

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Miguel, I can't find the list of winter weather predictors that was started last year. Did you save it?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
His weather forecasting rock has been blistering hot lately.
That means cooler weather within 6 months!:whip:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Has any noticed or documented future winter weather using hummingbird behavior? I know that a big increase in transient population occurs during migration just prior to Fall. The first hint of cool weather, and they’re gone.

I have had a vast increase in hummingbirds this week. This is sooner than the concentrations in the past. To me, that’s an interesting thought. What does anyone else think?

I haven't noticed an increase here in Roswell. But I do understand that they stack up pretty heavily along the Gulf Coast before the migration back to South America.
My most interesting observation with the hummingbirds was once when springtime fishing about 7 miles off the coast of Suwannee Florida. I kept noticing hummingbirds flying about 20 feet off the water headed north towards Florida. Small groups, occasionally one would be noticeably antagonizing others in flight just as they do around the feeders at home.

Cmp1

BANNED
Nothing up here in N MI,,,seen several baby hummingbirds this year also,,,,probably a mild winter,,,,

gunnurse

Cool! I’ve never seen a baby!