Fossil Bones Repurposed

Anvil Head

Been too busy to post much here lately, but thought you folks might enjoy these. I picked the fossilized bones at a show last year. They had great shapes and couldn't resist. Finally got around to forging some blades and fitting them up. Drilling them out was a bit of a challenge since more mineral than bone, but I have tools.
Blades are 80crv2 and I used hemp with primitive glue on the two "Raptor" Claws, Raw hide lace on Antler Bowie. Fella I got them from swore they were tarsal bones from a V. Raptor, but being a wildlife biologist graduate I think they are most likely short ribs from some stocky small lizard. Don't know for sure but they were interesting to work with. Grandson said they were raptor toes so I'm going with his "expert" dinosarology opinion.
That's a fossil caribou leg bone for size reference.

Note: Those of you that visit me at the Blade Show - June 7,8,9, I will be moving to table 6-H (just across the aisle from were I have been).

Jan Fossil 2.JPGJan Raptor 1.JPG

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Very beautiful creation as usual from you. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Anvil Head

Thanks everyone. It's a bit surprising how comfortable and ergonomically correct those "raptor" handles are to use. The cross draw sheaths are rawhide (primitive kydex) and can be worn blade edge up or down left or right side.
Still working on sheath for Antler Bowie, which will be quite different.

Toliver

Been too busy to post much here lately, but thought you folks might enjoy these. I picked the fossilized bones at a show last year. They had great shapes and couldn't resist. Finally got around to forging some blades and fitting them up. Drilling them out was a bit of a challenge since more mineral than bone, but I have tools.
Blades are 80crv2 and I used hemp with primitive glue on the two "Raptor" Claws, Raw hide lace on Antler Bowie. Fella I got them from swore they were tarsal bones from a V. Raptor, but being a wildlife biologist graduate I think they are most likely short ribs from some stocky small lizard. Don't know for sure but they were interesting to work with. Grandson said they were raptor toes so I'm going with his "expert" dinosarology opinion.

Note: Those of you that visit me at the Blade Show - June 7,8,9, I will be moving to table 6-H (just across the aisle from were I have been).

View attachment 1285879View attachment 1285880
I'm glad you posted the dates. I missed last year because I retired and didn't get the memo. I love walking that place and seeing all the fossilized handle materials. I also love the knives like yours. I don't even slow down walking past the "tactical" knife tables. If you were there in 2021and 2022 we probably spoke. I was doing off duty security for the show.

Anvil Head

I'm glad you posted the dates. I missed last year because I retired and didn't get the memo. I love walking that place and seeing all the fossilized handle materials. I also love the knives like yours. I don't even slow down walking past the "tactical" knife tables. If you were there in 2021and 2022 we probably spoke. I was doing off duty security for the show.
I've had a table at the Blade Show every year since they moved it back down to Atlanta. Hope you will stop by and say hello.
There is also an ODT one day show coming up at the Cobb Civic Center if you are affiliated with Outdoor Traders, don't have date on hand but will post when I get home later.

Anvil Head

ODT Show is May 4th - Marietta
Trackrock Hammer-in is March 22 & 23 - Blairsville
Bushcrafters Gathering April19, 20, & 21 - Watkinsville

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

I love the distressed look you leave on a lot of your knives from the forging/hammering process. Just curious as to how fragile anything fossilized is to chipping, spalling, flaking if dropped or struck against anything hard. I've toyed with the idea of doing some projects with fossilized material before but was always hesitant due to this unknown.

Anvil Head

Well, not sure what to tell you. These are pretty substantial and have a shape that seems pretty durable to minor impact. Accidentally did a drop check with one of the tarsals. But, true they are "mineralized" fossils and would probably chip or crack with a hard blow or impact. Maybe a bit more fragile than real bone. The shapes were there so I had to try it. Did have to use diamond coring bits to make holes for tangs, but figured on that. I would expect a little additional thought and care would be prudent.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Did have to use diamond coring bits to make holes for tangs,
Thanks for the prompt response Brother.....also thanks for including the above statement. I had meant to ask about that also.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master

Late to the Party, but amazing work a always...