Found my bear

matt79brown

I'm planning to bowhunt Cohutta come September. I've already started my scouting. I know very little about Cohutta or bear hunting for that matter. Between staying in the woods & all the good info on here, I feel confident about it. So here is my question, I saw a realy big bear a few days ago ( basing his size on a friends bear that he killed weighing 210#, this bear was about the same heighth but much thicker. Big head, rump, low belly.) Will this bear be in the area I saw him in come early bowseason? Or am I scouting too early?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
He may be 20 miles away by then. Bears follow food sources, and have huge home ranges.

Dana Young

He will be where the food is . That may or may not be where you saw him. hey travel long distances this time of year I would wait till closer to the season to start seriously looking for a spot to set up on one. I am not saying to stop looking now . just record your sightings and everything you notice about the area when you do see a bear . as you continue to scout and see more bears you will notice patterns about your sightings. Such as the terrain, food, water , bedding, scat, old or new sign or scat. The size of scat indicates a big or small bear. a lot of different sizes of scat could mean cubs with a sow or a home area for several bears.
Good luck