Found Spearhead

bbrock1415

Found in my garden. Got some details on it and think it might be from mound builders Indian tribe. It's not an arrow head but a spear head. Wanting to know if anyone has seen or has one like this. Just trying to get information on it.

Attachments

• 32394.jpg
    32394.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 684
  • 32396.jpg
    32396.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 680

MIG

I'd call it a Kirk Corner Notch point. Early archaic (8500 years old, give or take) and WAY older than the mound builder cultures. And yes, it's a good 'un.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would say either a Kirk Corner Notch or a Lost Lake. I'm leaning a bit more toward Lost Lake, going from the depth of the notches and the flaking pattern. Early Archaic point that is several thousand years old whatever it is- long before the mound builders. And it is a very nice point.

95% of "arrowheads" aren't actually arrowheads. People have been living here for at least 15,000 years, probably much longer. The bow and arrow only reached the Southeast at the beginning of the Woodland Period about 1,000 BC. It arrived about the same time as pottery and corn. Actual thrusting spears weren't used a whole lot in this region, so the vast majority of points that are found are either atlatl dart points or knives, or both. Actual arrowheads are usually small triangles.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Great point but it helps to have a common object (quarter) beside it to give us an idea as to size. Gil

wrbrock58

Spearhead with quarter

Attached picture of it next to quarter.

Attachments

• Spearhead Roger Brock.jpg
    Spearhead Roger Brock.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 568

walkinboss01

Very nice point. Congrats!!

Stonewall 2

Found in my garden. Got some details on it and think it might be from mound builders Indian tribe. It's not an arrow head but a spear head. Wanting to know if anyone has seen or has one like this. Just trying to get information on it.

Did you find that in Nicholson Ga? Just curious because we are neighbors.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Don’t know much about them at all, but I can recognize a very nice one when I see it. Great find!

Willjo

It looked better in person and it was nice to see it at show and meet some GON members. good seeing you and talking with you Mr. Brock

wrbrock58

Thank you for giving my grand baby that stone, she is still talking about it .That was the first show I have been , I learn a lot ,met some good folk.. I did fine out it is a lost lake. We had a good time .. Hope to do it again. Take care and keep in touch..