Fox Squirrels Making a Comeback?

Josh B

I see this guy all the time in Walton. We had a lot in Putnam too.

Attachments

• 20180923_181251-1.jpg
    20180923_181251-1.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 20

transfixer

We've got quite a few on our lease in Oglethorpe co, we were sitting at camp around lunch Saturday when one came into camp , went over to one of the guys campers where he has a few small antlers that he has picked up in the woods hanging on nails, the squirrel picked up one of the antlers and starts chewing on it, I started to walk closer to get a pic, and he took the antler and went up a tree with it ! lol guess he didn't want to be disturbed while eating ?

Tentwing

I don't see as many in North Georgia as I did when I was young, and now that I live in middle Tennessee I have yet to see one up here. The biggest one I have ever seen was at Calloway Gardens one year it had a body almost the size of my forearm , and I run about 230 .

jfarrell30339

I am 50 years old-half a century. I have spent a large portion of that time in the woods. I have never seen a fox squirrel. :(
Not gonna lie...first time I saw one was in the spring and I was like holy crap what is that...they are wild looking and I want to get one.

transfixer

Saw three different ones this weekend, counting the one that seems to visit our camp every time we're there, he just comes walking in like he owns the place, goes over to one of the guys campers and starts chewing on one of the antlers that are tacked up over there.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Every golf course down here with a mixture of pines and oaks lining fairways has a few fox squirrels. Moultrie's Sunset CC has a pack that will steal your crackers out of your cart.

I see them occasionally in the wild. They are territorial. They will fight until the bloodiest limps off.

mamatried

How rare are the all black fox squirrels? Most of the fox squirrels I have seen in sowega counties are typically large and grey. I have only seen 2 truly black ones, both in Lee County.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How rare are the all black fox squirrels? Most of the fox squirrels I have seen in sowega counties are typically large and grey. I have only seen 2 truly black ones, both in Lee County.

I`ve seen jet black ones in Wheeler, Worth, Lee, Dougherty, Baker, and Seminole. I see more that are gray with some black markings. On rare occasions I`ll see one that is black with yellow guard hairs sprinkled throughout the coat. Also solid black with a white nose. I saw one in Seminole county that was black with red scattered like that. It was one of the prettiest ones I`ve ever seen. Weirdest colored one I guess I ever saw was gray with an all black belly.

mamatried

Nicodemus, Baker County is ate up with them, figured I would have seen an all black one there. Thats funny that you mentioned black and red ones. My dad use to talk about black and red fox squirrels he use to see in Colquitt Co. when he was a kid. Still waiting to see one. Black and yellow would be interesting to see as well, would make a fine mount for the office.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I`ve seen jet black ones in Wheeler, Worth, Lee, Dougherty, Baker, and Seminole. I see more that are gray with some black markings. On rare occasions I`ll see one that is black with yellow guard hairs sprinkled throughout the coat. Also solid black with a white nose. I saw one in Seminole county that was black with red scattered like that. It was one of the prettiest ones I`ve ever seen. Weirdest colored one I guess I ever saw was gray with an all black belly.

I have seen all black with white nose. Black and Gray, Reddish orange, brown and black. More Gray and black than others.
Was thinking I read or heard that the all blacks were junveniles and would eventually take their hereditary markings. Going to have to research that.

Have seen two fight to the point one lost a hind foot. All but severed and bleeding badly he tried to climb into a tree but couldn't. We dispatch him with a .22.

Stroker

Iv'e seen them in Talbot county. Saw a road kill one Sunday on the home, started to pick it up for a mount but he was messed up bad.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have seen black ones in and around Pinebloom in Baker and a couple other places in Baker. Baker, Dougherty, Lee, Terrell is where I see black ones regularly.

I have seen some in Terrell that looked black but when the sun hit them right you could see the saddle on their back a little darker black than the rest of them. I have some pictures of a black one in Terrell that I would see just about every time I sat that stand...had white around his nose and in his ears.

FOLES55

Seen an all black with a white nose this evening. Amazing animal.

HunterJoe24

Saw one the other day on the same property that I shot one in the pictures somewhere in this thread. That's 5 different ones I've seen in the past 3-4 years

josef2424

I have seen one red/black fox squirrel in Hancock county. It seemed huge compared to the average grey squirrel.

Stroud Creek

I live in Alabama about 20 miles west of LaGrange, I’ve seen more Fox Squirrels over the last couple years than I’ve seen in the last 20 years.

joepuppy

I'm out in the woods daily with my job, and I've seen record numbers around mid GA. Definitely making a comeback. My dad whooped me good for killing one when I was 10, so they will forever get the pass from me. Some lessons stick with you.:oops: