Fox Squirrels Making a Comeback?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
My wife's uncle has a large farm in Spalding County that is loaded with them. I culled an almost solid black a couple winter's ago to put on the wall.

HunterJoe24

Kill at 1-2 every year on some land in Pike. We're loaded with them there. One of them a couple years ago was all black

madie

We have a good mixture of Grey and Fox squirrels here in Western KY..And we have a place, and the only place that I am aware of around here, these white squirrels will show up every so many years, and then we don't see them again for several more years..This pic was took last fall about a mile from my house..FullSizeR (1).jpg

Darkhorse

The north end of my place is large mature pines and that's where the fox squirrels live. They come to my place to eat the pecans. To get here they have to cross a large pasture with 5 horses, just walk and run right under them. The horses just watch them. I hope one doesn't try to cross my stallions pasture, outcome might be different.
Most of the time the fox squirrels are old and ratty looking but this year we had an almost solid white female that visited every day around 11 in the morning. She had a slick almost white coat with grey accents, she was nice and fat and sleek. A very good looking fox squirrel that we enjoyed watching.
Then one day I found her dead under a pecan tree. I suspected a snake but could find no evidence, I never did figure out what killed her.
A couple of days ago I saw a dead one on the side of the road. This one was dark with a black head. It was crossing from a cornfield into my old pines.
Robert Ruark went on a squirrel hunt with the old man in one of his books. Ruark, as a boy hunted with a .22 single shot. They loaded up with both gray's and fox squirrels. When I read this I had never seen a fox squirrel, so this book just nourished a desire to hunt them. When I was hunting them there were a lot more of them around. We hunted them in old pecan orchards off the dirt roads far from town.
I haven't shot one in years. Don't plan on ever shooting one again. All the one's on my place get a free pass.

rwh

this year i haven't seen as many but there have been a lot of pines cut around here. i did get a few pictures of one in a pecan orchard the other day. i'm looking for a black phase to mount.

Barebowyer

I have been seeing lots of them in Laurens county this year although that has been the case the last few years as well

gtmcwhorter

Seen a few growing up hunting in Richmond County and at the family farm in Warren County. First time I ever saw one I thought it was some type of mutant from the chemicals/smell at the paper plant on 56.

Curvebow05

Brevard in NC is known for the white squirrels, I stayed there by accident 2 years ago, beautiful area, I didn't see a white one but there was literature everywhere about them.
There is a big mural on the side of one of the buildings in downtown there if I'm not mistaken. We used to detour through there on our way to west Tenn growing up just to see them. The squirrels up in parts of Michigan are all black. Interesting and pretty little critters.

Curvebow05

There are plenty of fox squirrels down on Fort Stewart and the surrounding areas. The WMA's down this way have them as well. This pic is from Di-Lane last weekend. Lighting isn't the best but pretty cool to see.

Attachments

• IMG_9180.JPG
    IMG_9180.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 46

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
We have a good mixture of Grey and Fox squirrels here in Western KY..And we have a place, and the only place that I am aware of around here, these white squirrels will show up every so many years, and then we don't see them again for several more years..This pic was took last fall about a mile from my house..View attachment 941607
That's an oriental non native squirell there...………..

transfixer

We have quite a few on our lease in Oglethorpe county, multi colored ones mostly, haven't seen a solid white one ever.

killerv

They say a fox squirrel is extremely territorial and will stay in about a 1/4 acre spot unless something drives it away. I've had my share get mad at me while under their tree while turkey hunting. Got a gray with black head and an all black one coming to a feeder. The gray/black one would literally run towards the feeder when I would make it go off and almost get to me before he realized I was there.

AllTerrainAngler

There's some public land near me loaded down with them.

Mark K

Banned
If you have the habitat they are very abundant...almost to the point of being a nuisance! Had 6 on one trail cam pic. They keep on, they are going to become stew!!