Free Thanksgiving Ham WINNER UPDATE

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks for all the wonderful memories that were shared here. I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving, that will be a future Good memory. The winner is post 54 Artfuldodger. Artful if will send me your address I will get your ham headed your way.

It is getting close to Thanksgiving and I am going to give a country ham away. Please share some of your Thanksgiving memories with us. I will keep this thread open for one week and then will randomly pick a post number. I do hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and give thanks for all the thing that the Lord has bestowed on us.

Last edited:

Duff

My favorite memory is Billy showing up with Devil Eggs. He can carry 12 in one hand

J/k, I love seeing family members I haven’t seen all year. That’s my favorite part of thanksgiving. That and the food! Thanks for doing what you do Dawg.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my favorite Thanksgiving memory is that year Pappy and Meeno went on their 39th anniversary trip to Nashville, got to eat lunch with da Bo$$ and brought back a ham that Pappy won in a contest.

or maybe that is a dream of what is to come.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Pappy if you up this way on Thanksgiving, I am gonna try to meet you somewhere.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
driving up on T'day, and staying for a couple more days.

We will have to get together while I am up there.

DannyW

2001...my wife was away with her family in LA (lower Alabama)...me and my dog, really just a pup at the time, went to our primitive family cabin at Lake Burton. In the afternoon I put a turkey breast on low heat and went deer hunting at Lake Burton WMA.

Got back to the cabin just after dark and the turkey was perfect. Me and the dog sat on the floor and ate that turkey breast one bite at a time...one bite for me, and one bite for her. No TV, no computer, no people. But lovely company nonetheless.

I once read that life is a series of dogs. That dog was a strong link in the chain. And that Thanksgiving was one of my best.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Decades ago the weather and navigation stations used by the military sat on tiny islands in the South Pacific. We flew food, drinks and mail out to these islands. One trip we had a large chiller full of hams and turkeys for the holidays.

After we offloaded the supplies the small group of coast guard guys began to ask us to stay and eat dinner with them. We tried to beg off not wanting to eat treats we had just flown in but they were insistent.

As we sat outside a small qounset hut eating ham and yams cooked to perfection the conversation flowed about current events. It was obvious the coastles were appreciative of the delivery and new faces to chat with. Sacrifice and service is done in different ways. Thanksgiving reminds me of the holiday meal in the tropics with some good guys making a sacrifice.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
One of my funniest was the first Thanksgiving after the wife and I married. Now, she knows her way around the kitchen, but there were some delicacies she'd never tried on her own.

She decided to make deviled eggs, but cut them the wrong way, and they wouldn't lay on the plate...they'd just kinda wobble around.

We still laugh about that 32 years later.

Cmp1

BANNED
Grilling a turkey in the Weber in the middle of a snowstorm,,,,darn good,but it was bitter that day,,,,my other one was Thanksgiving in Germany,,,,had a party,,,,lots of German brewskis,,,,

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
My Brother in law Billy always volunteers to bring a pack of dinner rolls and nothing else but somehow takes “all “ the leftovers home with him. Smh

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I always enjoy Thanksgiving, but one of my favorites was when I was growing up. It came a big snow, and the power went out. Grandma just fired up her wood cookstove and went to cooking. One of the best Thanksgiving meals ever.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Thanksgiving has always been my favorite. Family and food. No presents. Those days are over now that Mama and Diddy are GON. One Thanksgiving always sticks out in my mind. We were all eating that wonderful meal as a family and half of the High school football team came in the house and ate every bit of food on the table. My Diddy was in HAWG HEAVEN. He always enjoyed watching folks get a belly full and I'm never forget that big ole grin on his face. Good times.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Was deer hunting on Thanksgiving day, came into Moms kitchen as she was putting a ham in the oven, asked her why no turkey. I think it ruffled her feathers a little, she told me that if I wanted a turkey to go get one. I slipped out to the back forty to still hunt, a drove of turkeys came running by, I swung on the biggest one, putting a 270 right through the neck of a big ole gobbler. Shortly, I was standing in Moms kitchen with that turkey. I wouldn't take anything for the memory of the look on her face. I dressed that bird, she cooked it and we remember it every year at the Thanksgiving table.
Mom doesn't cook much anymore but she gets Ham and turkey at my table every year.
God Bless each of you and Happy Thanksgiving

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Was deer hunting on Thanksgiving day, came into Moms kitchen as she was putting a ham in the oven, asked her why no turkey. I think it ruffled her feathers a little, she told me that if I wanted a turkey to go get one. I slipped out to the back forty to still hunt, a drove of turkeys came running by, I swung on the biggest one, putting a 270 right through the neck of a big ole gobbler. Shortly, I was standing in Moms kitchen with that turkey. I wouldn't take anything for the memory of the look on her face. I dressed that bird, she cooked it and we remember it every year at the Thanksgiving table.
Mom doesn't cook much anymore but she gets Ham and turkey at my table every year.
God Bless each of you and Happy Thanksgiving

I've got a similar story, but with an Easter goose. LOL.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
We get together each year on a Thanksgiving Camping trip. Used to do at RedTop Mountain State Park but now at DeSoto State Park in Ft Payne Alabama. There is usually five to seven RVs full of us.