Freedom from personal prisons

StriperAddict

“Delight yourself in the Lord” (Psalm 37:4) is not a command to dance about and make merry as though the appearance of delight fulfills the command. It’s a directive for our own enjoyment. When we find God to be our greatest joy, the pleasures of drink and sex, ambition and accomplishment, are exposed as the comparatively lesser pleasures they are, and their sometimes commanding grip upon us is dramatically loosened and broken. Hooray for that!

So think of it: God commands us to our highest enjoyment found with Him, and what does He do? The rest of verse 4: “And He will give you the desires of your heart.” Think that through.

Do you know someone battling with addiction? Help him find the highest delight, rather than just tell him to fight against his lower ones. God will see to it that he finds the freedom his heart desires. Do you know someone struggling with fear? Help her find and enjoy the greatest love, rather than tell her to quit being a scaredy-cat. God will deliver her from fear by driving it out and proving her security. Do you know someone who keeps making bad decisions? Help him to the amazing truth of who he is with God because of Jesus, and he will choose highest delight and receive his deepest desires—over and over again.

Freedom comes not by the work of breaking out of personal prisons, but by enjoying God, who proves you’re already out and free with Him.

2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

By permission:
Ralph Harris Ministries
1508 Lark Bunting Place
Longmont, Co 80504

StriperAddict

Thank you for posting that.
You're certainly welcome. I find Ralph's post a real breath of fresh air, not like much of the shame based theology in some churches. I love to grow in grace and in understanding Christ's Indwelling Life and seeing how others also grow and flourish in faith/trust & dependence on His completed work.

As my brother Mike Q. Daniel would say,
Ridiculously Graced!

Peace ??❗