Fridge not cooling correctly, should freezer look like this?

basshappy

BANNED
We have a GE gss25qstass model fridge freezer.

I noticed fridge not feeling cool. And I noticed unit is running non stop whereas when proper temps existed it would cycle on and off as needed.

I emptied freezer and removed access panel. Should this be covered in ice - whatever is behind the ice?

My understand is this model cools fridge side by sucking up cold air from bottom of freezer via a fan behind the panel I removed and pushing that cold air into fridge. Online I found references that the vents may be blocked with ice in bottom of freezer ( 8 of 16 were covered in ice) so I removed panel to remove ice from vent slots and then I saw all of this ice.

Any and all insight is appreciated.

20230716_163515.jpg

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
down at the bottom is a defroster heater. It is a glass tube with a heating element inside it. More than likely that coil is burnt out. You will need to defrost the unit real well, pull the heater and check it for continuity. There is also a timer in the refridge side that controls that defroster heater, and a temp sensor mounted on the tube in the freezer side. I would replace all those components at one time. They are relatively cheap, and will keep you from going back into the unit again if one happens to be bad and you don't catch it now.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the defroster heater has a blue wire and a pink wire running to it, IIRC. It is right at the bottom above the drip tray. I see the pink wire in your picture on the right hand side.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
What Pappy said. Defrost sensor and thermostat in the fridge itself can both cause iced coils. Same thing happened to me and it was the thermostat.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
To me a ton of frost indicates that there is humid air entering the freezer. Either the sealing strp/insulation is not intact or the door is often left slightly open.
Jm2c...

Anvil Head

Also there is a drain tube that runs down the back to an evaporation tray under the fridge usually close to the compressor. This can also stop up and contribute to the ice build up even if the heater is working. One or two cycles with the line stopped up it freezes beyond the capability to drain properly and you will get the ice build up.
The way they seal up the back of the units these days makes it tough to access and clean the drain tube. Better have a backup plan for your food until it thaws and clears - have fun.

basshappy

BANNED
UPDATE: basically every 12- 14 days my boy and I would empty the freezer and use hair dryers to melt away the build up in the freezer. Did this for two months. Was not a big deal. About 30 minutes. Considered ordering a few of the mentioned parts, but given this fridge was at least 15 years old, we decided to invest in a new unit. Which was delivered and I installed it.

The water line for fridge had a shut off valve in the crawlspace where Mission Impossible came to mind just to access it (over 4-inch waste line, over ductwork but under joists - slim I am thank gawd). So I dropped in an inline valve on main floor where water line came up from basement and now we can easily shut water off.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
UPDATE: basically every 12- 14 days my boy and I would empty the freezer and use hair dryers to melt away the build up in the freezer. Did this for two months. Was not a big deal. About 30 minutes. Considered ordering a few of the mentioned parts, but given this fridge was at least 15 years old, we decided to invest in a new unit. Which was delivered and I installed it.

The water line for fridge had a shut off valve in the crawlspace where Mission Impossible came to mind just to access it (over 4-inch waste line, over ductwork but under joists - slim I am thank gawd). So I dropped in an inline valve on main floor where water line came up from basement and now we can easily shut water off.
I hope you kept the old one. You might be able to get another 10-15 years out of it with a new defrost sensor and thermostat. Having 2 is handy sometimes.

basshappy

BANNED
@The Original Rooster we thought of it, I considered picking up the parts and giving it a shot, but reality is we don't have the space for it and the misses is really wanting to declutter the homestead so it was better to send it off. She did agree though we could invest in a floor freezer for our meat and fish, so I will take that win. :) We had to move fish and deer meat and a couple deer front legs and hides to her work freezer ... maybe one or a few of employees were not so thrilled seeing some of that in the freezer there. Lol

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Get an upright freezer instead of chest style. You will thank me later....
Yep, I like my chest freezer, but it can be a pain when it's full and you don't keep a list of what's in it and where. If you do get an upright, use or put a door lock on it to make sure it stays closed and doesn't defrost if something falls and knocks the door open a little.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
The seal is so tight on mine you have to snatch it open just about but that is a good idea rooster.
I just recall growing up that we had our giant upright have the door open accidentally a couple of times and defrost partly and it was a pain having to go through and throw stuff away. We finally learned our lesson and started locking it.