Fried chicken

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
That looks divine. I did sous vide fried chicken the other day it was on point. Looked just like yours

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Now I`m cravin` fried chicken.....

Patriot44

Banned
Now I`m cravin` fried chicken.....

We left Chattanooga tonight at 1015 headed south after a baseball game and the boy was starving..as was I :bounce: I asked him what he wanted knowing it would be 1) McDouble and large fry or 2) Chicken biscuit from "Bohangelaze" as we pronounce it.

He said, "is KFC open, I really could use some fried cheekun in my life right now"... :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We left Chattanooga tonight at 1015 headed south after a baseball game and the boy was starving..as was I :bounce: I asked him what he wanted knowing it would be 1) McDouble and large fry or 2) Chicken biscuit from "Bohangelaze" as we pronounce it.

He said, "is KFC open, I really could use some fried cheekun in my life right now"... :bounce:
I'm glad my son and I aren't the only ones that say "Bo-hang-lase!" :bounce: My wife looks at me like I'm crazy when I say it. I also call the grocery store "Eeng-lase."

bassboy1

While we're on this subject, let's talk reusing oil. How many times is it reusable (peanut oil)?

I ended up small countertop deep fryer not that long ago. I was just using it for fish and fries until recently. For fish and fries, the oil seemed to retain it's properties and color (filtered through cheese cloth before storing in fridge). It would gelatinize in the fridge, and have to sit on the counter for a few minutes before it'll pour.

I'd read that peanut oil doesn't take on the flavor of the food, and and my fries didn't taste like fish, so I used the same oil for chicken recently. After that, the oil got darker, and stays liquid in the fridge.

If anything, the last batch of fries may have been a little off - got dark before they got any crisp.

Do I need to relegate oil for just chicken, and how often to replace? Is dark thin oil a problem?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
While we're on this subject, let's talk reusing oil. How many times is it reusable (peanut oil)?

I ended up small countertop deep fryer not that long ago. I was just using it for fish and fries until recently. For fish and fries, the oil seemed to retain it's properties and color (filtered through cheese cloth before storing in fridge). It would gelatinize in the fridge, and have to sit on the counter for a few minutes before it'll pour.

I'd read that peanut oil doesn't take on the flavor of the food, and and my fries didn't taste like fish, so I used the same oil for chicken recently. After that, the oil got darker, and stays liquid in the fridge.

If anything, the last batch of fries may have been a little off - got dark before they got any crisp.

Do I need to relegate oil for just chicken, and how often to replace? Is dark thin oil a problem?
My system: I cook fries and such a lot. I have a countertop deep fryer that gets used several times a week. I use it for potatoes, plantains, tortillas, and other such "clean" non-breaded stuff. I leave the oil in it and just change it every couple months or so. It stays clean and fresh for a long time. If I'm frying fish, shrimp, chicken, hushpuppies, or other breaded stuff, I pour some oil in a big deep-sided cast iron pan on the stovetop and fry it in that. I can usually use it a couple-three times if I strain it, then I chunk it. Fish especially seems to mess it up quick. If your oil has a whang to it, you can often fry a chunk of tater in there, and it will take the taste out of the oil. The temp you're frying at makes a difference in how long your oil stays good, too. I just play it by ear. If it looks off, I'll pour it out. With big batches of oil in my propane fish fryer, I'll usually get a couple fries out of it.

I like peanut oil a lot, but I'm usually too cheap to buy it-it's like liquid gold. I'll spend the extra money on shrimp or chicken and fry them in Laura Lynn Wesson oil. :bounce: