Friends

Thread starter #1
"I would never walk away from a friend over politics."

Really?

Meet my pal Joe. Joe and I don't agree on anything politically, but, hey - Joe's my buddy.

One day, we're hanging out at my house, watching the game, when my doorbell rings. Joe says, "I got it."

He comes back a minute later with a stranger in tow.

Joe says, "Philip, I know you and I don't agree on much. There are a lot of things I want you to do that you won't, and there are just as many things you do that I'd prefer you didn't.

I'd like you to meet Bob. I'm hiring Bob to make you do the things I want you to do, and to make you stop doing the things I don't like.

I know you worked hard to get a good education, and you put in a lot of hours at work to be successful. You have a lot of money, and a lot of nice stuff. About twice a month, Bob's going to stick a pistol in your face and take some of your stuff. Also, the industry you work in isn't very popular socially these days, so Bob and some of his friends are going to make it a lot harder for you to make a living. They may even put your company out of business.

And look...about all those guns. I told Bob that they've got to go. Nobody needs guns like that. So, this weekend, Bob and some of his friends from SWAT are going to stop by the house and take your guns. I've told Bob that, if you put up a fight, it's OK if the SWAT guys have to shoot you.

Bob's going to take your stuff, and violate your rights - sometimes pretty violently."

Well, now. I don't really agree with that line of thinking, but hey - Joe's my friend, right?

Wow, I've got a lot of friends that don't think even nowhere near like me but none are like Joe. Most are just like me, trying to seek food, warmth, and shelter.
I'm conservative and my wife is liberal. I'd kinda hate it if she was everything I was. What fun would that be?

Are you saying your friends can't be Atheist, Gay, Black, female, liberal, Yankee, Jewish, Mormon, Oneness Pentecostal, Libertarian, Union, Hindu, Alabama fans, or like Bud over PBR because they are in some strange sort of way are trying to convert you to be someone you are not?

I would agree, you do need to change friends. My friends accept me for who I am. We do debate a lot of things but if they can't accept me for who I am, then no they aren't my friends.

I wouldn't want to fish or sleep with anyone who was gung-ho on changing me from who I am.

I have a friend who is liberal. I took him out and taught him to shoot one of my smoke poles. Now he has his own 50cal. muzzleloading long rifle, and a revolver with a really honking sight, and a 20 gauge that he uses to consistently break flying saucers. He claims he is still a liberal (but I suspect he voted Kemp).

What does a Conservative do when his son or daughter comes home as a liberal? Atheist, Universal Universalist? Married to a Black person or Jew? Maybe to one of the same sex or he joins a Union or accepts farming subsidies or hides his Dad's assets to go on Medicaid.

Do you disown them or make up reasons as to why they aren't liberal?

Maybe they get student scholarships, or Wic handouts. Accept FEMA handouts. Watch public TV.

I have not lost any friends over politics. They all know how I feel about liberals and have some heated debate with them. The ones that upset me are the ones that are Democrat because their daddy was a dem and his daddy before him, who was saved from Starvation by FDR was a Dem. They are hunters, believe we should have kept prayer in school, and get mad with the kneelers in the NFL and have very little use for the LBQT,s. When you ask them why, they will say because I dont like Republicans and I have never voted for one and never will. I just SMH and realize they pull for the Dems the way some of us pull for our favorite sports team.

Browning Slayer

Official GON Forum Meme Poster
Are all of your Black friends Republican? I can't say that I have that many myself, friends that is. Most have guns yet they vote Democrat.
They don't appear to want my guns as they have their own.
All of my friends are Anti-Liberal. I wouldn’t have a Liberal as a friend. They can’t be trusted and are not welcome in my home.

I have not lost any friends over politics. They all know how I feel about liberals and have some heated debate with them. The ones that upset me are the ones that are Democrat because their daddy was a dem and his daddy before him, who was saved from Starvation by FDR was a Dem. They are hunters, believe we should have kept prayer in school, and get mad with the kneelers in the NFL and have very little use for the LBQT,s. When you ask them why, they will say because I dont like Republicans and I have never voted for one and never will. I just SMH and realize they pull for the Dems the way some of us pull for our favorite sports team.
I would agree that's a big part of it. Just like religion. Baptist because our parents are. Earnhardt fans because our Dad's were. Ford guys because our Dad's were.
Even read about a girl that couldn't date a man who would drink Coke with a straw because her Dad said it was girlie.

Most of the Union guys I know are Democrat and own guns. We also have to think about the flip-flop of the parties. That left Democrats who were pro union, pro guns, pro-social programs, and against forced anti-discrimination laws.
Many of them or their kids are still alive. Maybe the Blue Dog Democrats?
Many Gun owning Black Democrats are against governement forced women's rights and gay rights.

Last edited:

Browning Slayer

What does a Conservative do when his son or daughter comes home as a liberal? Atheist, Universal Universalist? Married to a Black person or Jew? Maybe to one of the same sex or he joins a Union or accepts farming subsidies or hides his Dad's assets to go on Medicaid.

Do you disown them or make up reasons as to why they aren't liberal?

Maybe they get student scholarships, or Wic handouts. Accept FEMA handouts. Watch public TV.
If my son comes home as a gay or liberal, I will show him the front door with my boot. I could care less if he marries a black, Indian or Muslim. Race doesn’t matter to me. Same sex does. Liberalism is even worse.

I don’t have any worries with my boy. He is being raised right.

Browning Slayer

They are also bad drivers and aren't very reliable as friends. What about your children?
Don’t care what you think. Their ideas and agenda invade on my rights and my liberty. Liberals like to force their agenda on me. I don’t force mine on them. Just leave me alone. Poke the bear and you get bit.

If my son comes home as a gay or liberal, I will show him the front door with my boot. I could care less if he marries a black, Indian or Muslim. Race doesn’t matter to me. Same sex does. Liberalism is even worse.

I don’t have any worries with my boy. He is being raised right.
Why not raise him to think for himself instead of indoctrination? You do realize that most Blacks vote Democrat. Probably Indians and Muslims as well. In a way, race does matter. So does religion.

I think I'd rather my daughter come home gay than Muslim.

Don’t care what you think. Their ideas and agenda invade on my rights and my liberty. Liberals like to force their agenda on me. I don’t force mine on them. Just leave me alone. Poke the bear and you get bit.
I know you don't care what I think. I'm trying to fined out what you think. I can somewhat see disowning as child for homosexuality, but Liberalism? Taking a government scolarship or loan? Hiding assets to qualify for Medicaid? These are reasons to disown your own children?

Just because they think differently than you do? What if they come home in a Toyota?

Browning Slayer

Why not raise him to think for himself instead of indoctrination? You do realize that most Blacks vote Democrat. Probably Indians and Muslims as well. In a way, race does matter. So does religion.

I think I'd rather my daughter come home gay than Muslim.
Indoctrination? Is that what you guys call it? I call it the law of the land. Species sticking to its own and attracted to the opposite sex. I spend a lot of times outdoors and I see nature doing the same. I don’t see male birds lusting over male deer. Nor do I see female birds lusting over a female raccoon. I know I must be crazy witnessing this stuff but dang. Maybe it’s you and your thoughts that are wrong. Not the balance of nature..

That sounds more Libertarian than Republican. Don't force your agenda on others. Gays want to get married let them. Just don't spend the government's money to live off of once you get married. Don't take my guns. Don't force me to accept anti-discrimination if I don't want to.
I like to discriminate, that should be my prerogative.
The whole agenda is more Libertarian than Republican. Live and let live.

Browning Slayer

I know you don't care what I think. I'm trying to fined out what you think. I can somewhat see disowning as child for homosexuality, but Liberalism? Taking a government scolarship or loan? Hiding assets to qualify for Medicaid? These are reasons to disown your own children?

Just because they think differently than you do? What if they come home in a Toyota?
Liberalism is a disease. And one that requires me to give up my rights. Yes, I would disown my child over it. I’ve worked to hard to let a kid try and take my rights away cause he or she “feels” entitled. Like I said. I don’t have to worry about it. My child is being raised the right way.