From whence comes beliefs?

Madman

The above posts have prompted a few thoughts that may well be worthy (?) to throw into the mix : ) .....

1. My read on history & Luther:
(a.) He had no intent of initiating a 'reformation' when posting the "95 Theses" on 'the door.' That was a routine 'town hall' type prompting of items for discussion among the Roman Catholic Priests (which he was), as well as, dialogue among the Bishops.
(b.) As i recall, more than any other topic among the 95 had to do with the selling by the Roman Catholic Church of 'indulgences.'
(c.) The denomination of Lutherans entitled, The Missouri Synod openly proclaim that Luther, nor they, are any part of 'the Reformation,' btw & fweiiw.
(d.) If one wishes to understand Luther's views .... i have found them best expressed in his book Bondage of the Will.) i am not Lutheran, though i have been in the past. In my quest for Biblical truths i have been a member of the the mainline version of Lutheranism, ELCA, as well as Missouri Synod. My studied understanding of what both of those denominations believe and that which Luther actually professed has changed measurably over all this time < simply offered for general awareness.

2. Beyond & outside of Luther:
(a.) "The Reformation" was simply a reset to Augustine's ('of Hippo' - about 400 A.D.) beliefs.
(b.) If anyone wishes to examine (what i have found, anyways : ) to be the best fully Scripture proof text footnoted topically arranged detailed beliefs statement of the Reformation, i would encourage the consideration of the document entitled "The Westminster Confession of Faith" (1646). It is important to me that nearly every sentence in the original version was Scripture footnote proof texted for all to examine. Was composed and agreed to by 121 English Clergy over 3 years. It was never intended to replace the Bible, as i have on occasion seen it accused ... it was intended as a topical study statement of that which the Protestant Bible says ... as it states in the preface or introduction.
(c.) Link to the aforementioned vast number of related publications on Amazon (if one decides to buy one, be sure you get one that is Scripture proof text footnoted - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=westminster+confession+of+faith&i=stripbooks&crid=EJ2E87NR7LW6&sprefix=westminster+,stripbooks,456&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_12

3. Regarding The Bible:
(a.) The views of Augustine (of Hippo) and the churches emerging from the re-set historically called the "Reformation," were adherents to the set of Old Testament books used by the Jewish people in Palestine. These are fewer in number that the books used by the Jews who resided in the Egyptian vicinity (Roman Catholics use the books of the Egyptian Jews.). Thus the Protestant Bible was 'built out' based on the former.
(b.) Meanwhile, the added Old Testament books embraced by the Egyptian Jews were viewed as having such great historical (though not 'canonical') value by Protestants that up until about 1925 most Protestant Bibles included the added books as an appendix.
Not much on cut and paste discussions. I have spent too many years on these topics to go down those rabbit holes of nothing more than modern opinions.

I have attempted to answer all questions presented here and yet see not answer to mine. For example, why does your version of Holy Scripture contain James and Revelation, ML wanted it removed. Why did he want it removed?

If ML was simply reforming "problems" in the Roman Church why did he not move to the Byzantine Church?

What errors did the RC Church press that ML could not sustain in his priesthood?

If these are original thoughts and not simply cut and paste I apologize but they appear to arranged that way.

BTW.. I have never been able to find where the RCC, as an institution, sold or condoned the selling of indulgences.

Last edited:

RegularJoe

Not much on cut and paste discussions. I have spent too many years on these topics to go down those rabbit holes of nothing more than modern opinions.

I have attempted to answer all questions presented here and yet see not answer to mine. For example, why does your version of Holy Scripture contain James and Revelation, ML wanted it removed. Why did he want it removed?

If ML was simply reforming "problems" in the Roman Church why did he not move to the Byzantine Church?

What errors did the RC Church press that ML could not sustain in his priesthood?

BTW.. I have never been able to find where the RCC, as an institution, sold or condoned the selling of indulgences.

As front-end stated Madman -

The above posts have prompted a few thoughts that may well be worthy (?) to throw into the mix : ) .....

... and my related post, does not defend nor question Luther's views or motives (it does say he was not interested in any type of 'reformation movement.').

- Later gator.

Artfuldodger

If these are original thoughts and not simply cut and paste I apologize but they appear to arranged that way.

Before I go "read" about it, what is your take on why Luther wanted James and Revelation out of the Canon?

Madman

Before I go "read" about it, what is your take on why Luther wanted James and Revelation out of the Canon?
James discusses works which was in conflict ML's argument for Sola Scriptura.

don't remember the reason for Revelations.