Fruit Cake in the oven

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
My Mother would cook a "White" fruit cake .....kind of like a Pound cake with fruit mixed in(smaller amount of fruit) ....it was not as sweet as Grandma's ..... no rum on the "White" fruit either ....

My Wife's family always did fruit cake cookies ....they too were good!

Grandma's cake is allowed to mellow out ...supposed to allow it three weeks and several doses of rum or brandy over that period. Most the time it does not survive three weeks before being attacked. I feel real sorry for those pitiful souls who didn't get the pleasures of good cooking ....like GOOD fruit cakes!

Merry Christmas to all my fellow GON members !!!!

Love me some Fruit Cake, Merry Christmas back to you and yours BP!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have never been able to develop a taste for fruitcake. But, Merry Christmas to you, BP!

atlashunter

Could be reflection on the cooks more than the type of cake. :huh:

I don't think they were home cooked. Didn't they used to come in a Christmas tin?

Gator89

I don't think they were home cooked. Didn't they used to come in a Christmas tin?

store bought fruit cake, maybe so.

I grew up eating home made fruit cakes or purchased from a group ladies that baked and sold them as church fundraisers. I have even had fruit cake cookies!

My wife & I bake one together every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Check the recipe I posted in my fruitcake time thread, i can't imagine there being any objectionable ingredients.

atlashunter

store bought fruit cake, maybe so.

I grew up eating home made fruit cakes or purchased from a group ladies that baked and sold them as church fundraisers. I have even had fruit cake cookies!

My wife & I bake one together every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Check the recipe I posted in my fruitcake time thread, i can't imagine there being any objectionable ingredients.

I probably won't go to the trouble of making one myself but if I ever have the chance to try a home cooked one I would try a slice. I do like rum so maybe I would like it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Benson is another commercial brand. Nothing can touch a good homemade fruitcake.

I have a very good childhood friend who grew up with her mother making fruitcake. She hated it, her whole family hated it. She is married to a fellow who also hates fruitcake. When I retired and moved back home I offered to put her on my family & friends fruitcake list. She declined. Three years ago I got her and her husband to try a piece of my fruitcake. They were both surprised to find that they loved it and now are very happy to get one every year.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My mama made the best fruit cake!
She just put cherries, pineapple & pecans in it. No alcohol. ?

Artfuldodger

Years ago I thought about making an Old English type but never got around to it. I did save some ideas on the fruit but that's as far as I got. I was wanting to try and stay away from that mix of dried fruit used today. Kind of what one would use a few hundred years ago.

Fruitcake ingredients
3 cup hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, and almonds - chopped
1 1/2 pounds of an assortment of dried fruits (dried apricots, figs, dates, etc.), candied and chopped mixed peel, and glace cherries - chopped into bite size pieces. Candied pineapple.

3/4 pound of an assortment of raisins, sultanas, currants, dried cranberries and/or cherries.

4 whole cloves, ground
6 allspice berries, ground
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely
Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely
1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
1 cup spiced rum

1 cup apple juice

Combine dried fruits, candied ginger, pineapple, and both zests. Add rum and macerate overnight.
Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I like a slice browned in a toaster then doused in butter...

The kind that we make will not brown in a toaster. Too much fruit in it for that. It is on the sticky side and would make a mess of a toaster. Mom put dates in hers cause Dad liked them. A piece of Mom's fruitcake would probably stick to a wall if you were fool enough to throw it there. LOL