fruit trees

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Isons below griffin is a good source.
Some say the flea market up around Commerce also.
I bought mine from the Wildlife group in AL.

Best success I have had is buying bare root "cheapos" of Yates, Callaway, Kieffer, etc in late winter where ever I can find them. I pot them in 3-7 gal liners and 'grow' them at the house where I can tend to them...then transplant that winter. They have re-established a good root system again without becoming pot-bound. I can usually find locally at $5.99-$7.99ea. I have yet to loose one, usually putting a bare root out in the spring is a death sentence if you are not watering it very, very regularly! Trunk protector, weed mat and wire cage complete the setup. A few passes with herbicide to knock back competition and a little fertilizer and the fruit tree is good to go. A small investment up front yields years of production. (All caveats about selecting for fire blight resistant varieties apply.)

ucfireman

Sound like a great way to do it. I have planted the bare root trees in late winter before and never had success either (50+ peach over 3 years), Last trees I planted were clearance trees (3-5gal) from lowes and TSC. 25+ and only 1 died, it was a wet spring/summer though.
I have thought about buying the persimmon seedling from the Forestry service and putting them in pots for a year like you describe.

FloridaAl

I got mine at a good nursery in Ty Ty, a bit west of Tifton. Bought 2 "wildlife pear" saplings, bare root and leafless. About 5 or 6' tall. Planted them with the little $4 fertilizer packets they sell to put in the hole, watered them twice a week, put the plastic guard around the truck, both are thriving.

JackSprat

I got mine at a good nursery in Ty Ty, a bit west of Tifton. Bought 2 "wildlife pear" saplings, bare root and leafless. About 5 or 6' tall. Planted them with the little $4 fertilizer packets they sell to put in the hole, watered them twice a week, put the plastic guard around the truck, both are thriving.

God help you if you bought them from Ty TY nurseries or one of it's alter egos

If you did, you have no idea what trees you really purchased.

bhouston

If Florida AI bought at ty ty - and says good things about them - then he works there or is an investor in Ty Ty. Hallman Farms in So. Carolina has the best varieties of pears that are very fast growers, hardy and blight resistant.