Ft. Stewart Summer

175FO

Hello everyone, I'm new here but have been browsing for a while. Just wanted to let ya'll know that it's prime time for pig hunting on Ft. Stewart. There are barely any other hunters out there braving the heat, and military training on base is also pretty slow right now. The pigs are under very little pressure and are not quite as nocturnal right now. I've been having success in the early morning hours and in the late afternoon.

My strategy is usually to sit on a large open area at first light. Then I'll move look for some fresh sign and start walking where there is thick brush and water nearby. I have seen plenty of pigs moving from daylight until about 9am and again after 7pm. Seems like they are mostly feeding on berries now, all the dropping I see have had berries in them.

Here's a few kills from the past 3 weeks.

Attachments

• Pig1.jpg
    Pig1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Pig2.jpg
    Pig2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 45
  • Pig3.jpg
    Pig3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 45

Geezer Ray

Very nice, I was wondering how the hunting in the heat was down there. Here in NE Ga, they are mostly nocturnal during hot times. I am wanting to get down before Aug 15th so I can try out my new 308.

175FO

Got a few more on Tuesday evening. A buddy and I both hit this one at the same time. Also killed a sow that had two piglets with her. Pig_M1.jpg

BowArrow

I have begun hog hunting FS and doing some scouting for deer season in Sept. New to rifle hunting and have made some mistakes. Missed a couple of close shots and turn sow down because of pigs. Went Saturday morning and walking 300 yds had 125 lb step out in road. Had new rifle slung over left shoulder and removing rifle barrel hit something in my cargo pocket. Hogs are smart and he did not hesitate to leave. Lesson is do not put anything in left cargo pocket. One hour latter, walking down road and not being alert, I walk up on three 50 pounders who saw me first. Mistake number two is hunt when you are in the woods. I had planned to stay until dark but when you are 80 years old and the heat index is 100 deg. I was drained. Driving out to the highway, I had a turkey, deer and hog cross the road. I saw the hog at 300 yards and first thought was bear although no bear are in this part of state. It was the largest hog I had ever seen at FS. Probably over 300 lb. I plan another trip next week and will probably camp a couple of days. Maybe I have used up my mistakes.