Fuel flow problem - Kubota L3830 Diesel Tractor

dslc6487

Thought the fuel solenoid valve was bad on my Kubota L3830 tractor. Tractor would not start, so I took the fuel solenoid valve off, and the tractor started right up and ran fine. So, went and paid $186 for a new fuel solenoid, put it on the tractor and same thing, it would not start. So, I have a problem somewhere else in the system. Anyone out there know how to check the wiring that goes to the fuel solenoid to see if there is a problem between the switch and the fuel solenoid wiring harness that hooks to the fuel solenoid. There are 2 wires that go to the fuel solenoid. Also, if you know how to check the fuel solenoid valve, that would also be a great help. Any help will be appreciated.
I guess if I cannot find the problem, I will just break the stem off the old fuel solenoid, put it back on, and put me a fuel cut off valve in a flexible line going to the injector pump. Anyone see any problem with this? Thanks for any help

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
one of the wires will be hot, and one will be ground. A solenoid is just a coil magnet, so it really doesn't matter which way it is hooked up, but Kubota has a standard way to hook it up. If you wanted to verify that it is somewhere in the key/wiring, you could just run 2 wires to the solenoid. Hook one wire to the negative terminal of the battery, the other to the positive terminal. If it is the switch/wiring, the tractor should stay running until you unhook one of the wires.

If it runs, then you will have to determine if the switch is making contact sometimes and not sometime. That is probably your issue. If you have a VOM, you can read the voltage at the solenoid, and watch it drop out and the engine die

tree cutter 08

You might want to look at the wiring harness. Pull the cluster out and follow the main harness from there. It runs over a metal bracket in the column. The harness cover is just a tad short. Ask me how I know! Very small wires but look for rubing. It will take some close examination but that's how I found my problem.