Full Moon ???

Buckshot

Have not got to hunt as much as I want to this year . But I am going this morning. What kind of effect do you other fellow hunters think a Full Moon has on these whitetails in our area this time of year ??? Possiblely kick the RUT on in ? I have been hearing of alot of early big buck movement. Good Luck to all ! !

H

HT2

Buck.....

Well, at our place in Hancock, it has seemed to "slow" up the deer movement......

Now, granted after the Full Moon it may pick up.......But, as for now it's slowed up a good bit......

Sorry, I gotta go.....

I'm headed down there right now...... :eek:

duke13

This is the full moon that will help kick in the rut. From here on out I would spend every minute in a tree stand i can for the next 3 weeks at least. Regardless of the moon phase, feeding times, wind, temp, sunny, cloudy, rain, whatever.............. get out there every minute you can. :bounce:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
There is an article in "Quality Whitetails" this month about this very subject.

After reading it, I was really surprised that QDMA wasted the ink!

They reported on a study by a female researcher, going from my feeble memory, in Conn. (I can't spell Connecticut!). She collared about 12 doe, of which about 8 survived or didn't lose their collars during the study, in an effort to determine whether or not deer became more nocturnally active during a full moon.

She concluded that a full moon had little or no effect on deer movements.

I would recommend that she do a simple roadkill survey.

Catfish369

By everything I've read and heard, deer do feed more actively at night during the full moon period. The advice given was to hunt the mid-day periods when deer are up after their morning rest periods.

Deer movement is not effected by a full moon. It just changes when they move. If you will hunt the middle of the day and middle of the night. You will see more deer. :)

When I hunt the full moon I sleep in late. get up and eat a good breakfast, grab a sandwich and try to sit down before 10:00. I will stay to about 3:00 to 4:00. I always see more deer during this time of the day than any other time.

Last edited:
Yeah I know :)

Maybe I should of said. Volume of deer movement is not effected. Deer eat and drink about the same each day. Well since they do not have home delivery. They must go get it.

Last edited:

mockingbird

One of this month's deer mags( Deer and Deer Hunting, I believe) has a great article about this year's rut. The jist of it seemed to be that this year's rut in the south will occur dead on the full moon instead of slightly after. I might be a day or two off but I seen to remember that the seeking phase will begin about Nov.22 and last a week or so-- and the chasing phase will begin the first week of Dec. and last a week or 10 days. I might be off (senior memory) so check out the article!

Jeff

More fools are out driving late at night.:D

Who? other than me has been through Kentucky right at the end of November?
Every year on our way to Kansas. The interstate is littered with deed deer. I really mean littered too.:eek: I think this is due to the rut though. On our way back from Kansas you see no fresh deer kills. ::huh:

Jack Straw

Jeff Young said:
Why do we see more dead deer on the side of the road during a full moon?

I've never paid attention to this but you might be onto something. Are you theorizing that deer move more during a full moon or that they move more at night? If your theory is that they move more at night, then that would have to be based on the assumption that deer/car collisions occur more during the night than during the day. I wonder how hard it would be to get info from the insurance companies about when (dates and time of day) most of these collisions occur.

As a side note, while I have not noticed a correlation between moon phase and deer/car collisions, I have noticed that I see more road kills during the fall. IMO, that would indicate that the breeding season has a large effect on deer movements. Again, this is something that info from insurance claims might shed more light on.

Jack

Last edited:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I've noticed an increase in roadkill at full moon year round.

I have not really studied what time they were hit. I did always assume they were being struck at night.