G Loomis Rod Guide Replacement Help!

krizia829

Hey everyone!
I have a really nice G. Loomis rod that my husband got me a while back and the rod tip along with the following 2 rod guides need replacement.. They got crushed by accident closing the car door.. (I'm so mad about that!!) For a rod as nice (and expensive) as this, i'd like to replace them myself but I have never done it before.. I'd like to find a simple, yet strong way to do this. Is there a video on youtube that anyone here has followed that can be recommended? I've seen a couple but i'm not sure how well they hold up.. I appreciate the help!
-Krizia

Coenen

Doesn't G.Loomis offer a full warranty? You may be able to get a new stick and be done with it.

sbroadwell

Two different things, replacing a tip, and guides.
Tip is pretty easy if you can get a replacement of the right tube size. Glue it on with ferrule cement, which I think you can get from BPS. I use 5 minute epoxy, but it's hard to ever remove unless you know what you are doing.
Guides are totally different. You will have to wrap them on with thread. You can actually do with with a rod stand made from a shoebox and a heavy book for thread tension.
You can go to Mudhole.com and find all sorts of videos. Or, feel free to send me a pm. I've done several thousand rods, lol.

Rabun

I've replaced a couple guides using dental floss and epoxy. Worked fine, but probably would want a better looking job for a nice rod like that. The tips are easy...just size accordingly and glue...you can use the same glue you use for arrow nocks if you have any. Epoxy for the rod guides.

krizia829

Doesn't G.Loomis offer a full warranty? You may be able to get a new stick and be done with it.
It was purchased by private sale.. Not through a retailer. I believe you have to be original owner to get the warranty coverage..

krizia829

Two different things, replacing a tip, and guides.
Tip is pretty easy if you can get a replacement of the right tube size. Glue it on with ferrule cement, which I think you can get from BPS. I use 5 minute epoxy, but it's hard to ever remove unless you know what you are doing.
Guides are totally different. You will have to wrap them on with thread. You can actually do with with a rod stand made from a shoebox and a heavy book for thread tension.
You can go to Mudhole.com and find all sorts of videos. Or, feel free to send me a pm. I've done several thousand rods, lol.
lol thank you! I will check out that website and give it a shot. I appreciate the help!

krizia829

I've replaced a couple guides using dental floss and epoxy. Worked fine, but probably would want a better looking job for a nice rod like that. The tips are easy...just size accordingly and glue...you can use the same glue you use for arrow nocks if you have any. Epoxy for the rod guides.
Oh awesome! I have some of that arrow nock glue at home. I will use that for the tip. From what i've seen, I will definitely stick to epoxy for the guides. Thank you!

sbroadwell

No, you don't use any glue for the guides. Just wrap them with thread. Then, you coat them with thread sealer epoxy. Not quite the same as epoxy cement, it is smoother. It's not hard to do, just have to get the basics. I think there's probably a video on the Mudhole site, but if not, you can probably find one on Youtube.