GA Cell phone law

Thread starter #1

Balrog

If a policeman pulls you over and accuses you of using your cell phone while driving, and then asks to see your phone, do you have to let him look at it?

I guess you don't, based on an experience i had today. He knew of me, so maybe that mattered, or maybe not. I politely declined, and he did not push the issue.

Patriot44

I fully plan to decline when this happens and will play my HIPAA card. I will be polite as possible as well but my phone (my company's) is not open for disclosure.

I am sure this will change as soon as the gustapo figures this out.

b rad

If a policeman pulls you over and accuses you of using your cell phone while driving, and then asks to see your phone, do you have to let him look at it?

I guess you don't, based on an experience i had today. He knew of me, so maybe that mattered, or maybe not. I politely declined, and he did not push the issue.
By law you don’t have to let them see ur phone it’s their judgement if they see you touch ur phone that’s why this law passed

b rad

This law is to just scare people to not use their phone while driving which you shouldn’t touch ur phone while driving anyways. But the 25 dollar first offense doesn’t matter or the 2nd offense of 50 dollars bc most want go to court to call out the cop for not proving they didn’t touch the phone what’s 25 bucks right the state knows this and know that workers will just pay online to not miss a day of work. But for he ones who challenge it you will win bc the cop will not show up just watch and see it’s all about money they don’t care about life’s saved.

NOYDB

Miguel Cervantes

GON Severe Weatherman
This law is to just scare people to not use their phone while driving which you shouldn’t touch ur phone while driving anyways. But the 25 dollar first offense doesn’t matter or the 2nd offense of 50 dollars bc most want go to court to call out the cop for not proving they didn’t touch the phone what’s 25 bucks right the state knows this and know that workers will just pay online to not miss a day of work. But for he ones who challenge it you will win bc the cop will not show up just watch and see it’s all about money they don’t care about life’s saved.
You might want to double check those fines. Your figures are a little light. Plus this is a revenue generator. They say you did it, you get a ticket and points on your license. Good luck proving otherwise in court.

drhunter1

I'm on the road for a living in metro Atlanta and if the a police wanted to catch folks texting and driving is pull next to them and look into their car. I see it every day still. It's downright ridiculous.

The law should be such that if you wreck your car because you were texting or looking at fakebook, you go to jail and you pay a heavy fine. The laws on this subject are too weak. It should be a deterrent, not a revenue maker like this law is written.

This law is stupid and should be repealed ASAP! Texting while driving is already illegal and should be but holding a phone to your head while driving should not be. Just another example of Republicans taking freedoms away from the people.

PappyHoel

Congrats on your first scratch and sniff pull over. Like I said before the law was in effect, this is only going to be used to pursue other charges. This will become more prevalent.

They will need to find new laws to illegally search you when there are driverless cars. How do you pull over a driverless car? Will driverless cars be allowed to have window tint?

Thread starter #14

Balrog

I fully plan to decline when this happens and will play my HIPAA card. I will be polite as possible as well but my phone (my company's) is not open for disclosure.

I am sure this will change as soon as the gustapo figures this out.

Yea I was wondering about the HIPAA thing too.

Thread starter #15

Balrog

If folks would just stay off their phone, would there be an issue?

Funny thing is, I wasn't on my phone, I had my left elbow propped up on the door of my truck with my hand on my head. I guess to him it looked like i was holding a phone up to my left ear.

So yea, I guess its a problem even if you aren't on the phone, if the police are going to pull you over for that.

I don't agree with texting and driving, but there are a lot of other things people do while driving that are distractions. Messing with the radio, trying to find that McNugget that just rolled under the front seat, etc, are just as dangerous.

Miguel Cervantes

GON Severe Weatherman
If folks would just stay off their phone, would there be an issue?
Here's the issue, the way the law is written.
If a cop pulls you over for "touching" your phone, he doesn't have to see the phones history. All he has to do is write you the $50 ticket and one point is soon to be assessed to your license. Good luck proving he was wrong in court. It is your word against his.

They should have to have video evidence of the infraction to substantiate their citation and validate their claims in court.

Just sayin.

Here's the issue, the way the law is written.
If a cop pulls you over for "touching" your phone, he doesn't have to see the phones history. All he has to do is write you the $50 ticket and one point is soon to be assessed to your license. Good luck proving he was wrong in court. It is your word against his.

They should have to have video evidence of the infraction to substantiate their citation and validate their claims in court.

Just sayin.
May be time to buy a dash mounted camera.

Y'all are way too worked up over this. 5 years from now the federal government will pass a law requiring all cell phones sold in the USA to have motion sensors that disable the phone if it's moving faster than 5 mph.

See? There's always a simple fix if you're willing to look for it.

PappyHoel

Y'all are way too worked up over this. 5 years from now the federal government will pass a law requiring all cell phones sold in the USA to have motion sensors that disable the phone if it's moving faster than 5 mph.

See? There's always a simple fix if you're willing to look for it.
Won’t work, there are hands free Bluetooth solutions that will become obsolete in a car if that happens