GA Cell phone law

I'm on the road for a living in metro Atlanta and if the a police wanted to catch folks texting and driving is pull next to them and look into their car. I see it every day still. It's downright ridiculous.

The law should be such that if you wreck your car because you were texting or looking at fakebook, you go to jail and you pay a heavy fine. The laws on this subject are too weak. It should be a deterrent, not a revenue maker like this law is written.
Amen to that.

Won’t work, there are hands free Bluetooth solutions that will become obsolete in a car if that happens
Congress will simply pass "The Unemployed Bluetooth Manufacturing Employees Full Employment Act of 2022" and that problem will be solved plus by then Bluetooth will be ancient technology and nobody will want it anymore.

You have to think strategically.

I am all for enforcement of laws to keep people from texting and driving. Talking on the phone, no I do not support laws that forbid that.

Y'all are way too worked up over this. 5 years from now the federal government will pass a law requiring all cell phones sold in the USA to have motion sensors that disable the phone if it's moving faster than 5 mph.

See? There's always a simple fix if you're willing to look for it.
New Iphones will already do that if you don't go into the settings and turn the "do not disturb" setting to "off."

I do not believe in getting fined for pre-emptive punishment.

if you're doing something stupid that causes you to harm another person though, the book should be thrown at you.

Pass a law that states you will go to jail for manslaughter if you kill someone while on your phone with a minimum sentence. Pass a law requiring large punitive awards to your victims if it can be proven you were on your phone when you hit them, whether they get hurt or not. Make the punishment for hurting someone else with your actions too terrible to risk, and folks will stop after the first few wind up in jail over a "wyd?" text.

I am with you. If they didn't care they would let you drink and drive.

I had already put my phone down. I've been ill with folks around me trying to drive and talk on the phone for some time. I can call them back.

s&r
If DUI laws were really about safety there would be cops posted in every bar parking lot in town. It's nothing but revenue for them. They might actually catch 1 out of 100 drunk drivers on any given night. I've known a few folks who drove drunk multiple days a week for decades without ever getting a DUI, or hurting another person for that matter. If they wanted to STOP drunk drivers, they would randomly post near bars with a DUI roadblock either direction outside the exit and check every single person leaving.

Y'all are way too worked up over this. 5 years from now the federal government will pass a law requiring all cell phones sold in the USA to have motion sensors that disable the phone if it's moving faster than 5 mph.

disabling the passenger's phone too? Not going to happen.

Y'all are way too worked up over this. 5 years from now the federal government will pass a law requiring all cell phones sold in the USA to have motion sensors that disable the phone if it's moving faster than 5 mph, or unless it's connected via bluetooth to a handsfree device, such as your car radio.

FIFY

PS: It won't take 5 years.

Great point.
There is existing technology that would prevent much of what the police can stop you for. It could save many lives if used.
Why don't we? I'm sure it could be implemented in a constitutionally friendly manner.

Great point.
There is existing technology that would prevent much of what the police can stop you for. It could save many lives if used.
Why don't we? I'm sure it could be implemented in a constitutionally friendly manner.
Now all they need to do is make DUI Breathalizer Ignition systems mandatory in vehicles. That Tech has been around for a long time now.

If DUI laws were really about safety there would be cops posted in every bar parking lot in town. It's nothing but revenue for them. They might actually catch 1 out of 100 drunk drivers on any given night. I've known a few folks who drove drunk multiple days a week for decades without ever getting a DUI, or hurting another person for that matter. If they wanted to STOP drunk drivers, they would randomly post near bars with a DUI roadblock either direction outside the exit and check every single person leaving.
We, you and I, are just going to have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Browning Slayer

Official GON Forum Meme Poster
Funny thing is, I wasn't on my phone, I had my left elbow propped up on the door of my truck with my hand on my head. I guess to him it looked like i was holding a phone up to my left ear.

So yea, I guess its a problem even if you aren't on the phone, if the police are going to pull you over for that.

I don't agree with texting and driving, but there are a lot of other things people do while driving that are distractions. Messing with the radio, trying to find that McNugget that just rolled under the front seat, etc, are just as dangerous.

Well, you did say the cop "knew of you".. Quit being a trouble maker..;)

Browning Slayer

Official GON Forum Meme Poster
Now all they need to do is make DUI Breathalizer Ignition systems mandatory in vehicles. That Tech has been around for a long time now.

Ok.. Let's not get carried away...

Heck, I saw a dude on his phone the other day. Ticked me off so I rolled my window down and threw my beer at him!

I have a phone in my truck through On Star. I have to punch a button on the mirror.

Does this law now mean I have to park my truck to adjust my mirror?