GA Fishing license

LTF

Anyone know? If I'm fishing in the Savannah river on the Southside of North jetty, are GA license recognized as legal? Or will I have to purchase SC license too?
Thanks in advance!

Jimmy Lee Armel

Anyone know? If I'm fishing in the Savannah river on the Southside of North jetty, are GA license recognized as legal? Or will I have to purchase SC license too?
Thanks in advance!
Look at a chart where the border is. Shpuld be good on the southside. Lots of argument about the other side

Reactions: LTF

WalkinDead

Banned
Reciprocal agreements apply within the river systems only. Once you exit the river into the bays, you are entering state waters and your license applies only to the state of residence and that states waters. This is true of Florida waters, and, most likely, South Carolina waters as well. This is how it was explained to me by a DNR agent a couple of years ago while fishing the St. Mary's jetties. Most likely, they will ask you to move to your state of residence waters without giving you a citation within the three mile state waters limit. Just where this transition occurs is a matter of interpretation on the officers part and it becomes a "tell it to the Judge" matter, should he decide to write you up.
Once you are outside the three mile state waters limit, it becomes federal waters and a matter of where you launched your boat for license requirements and fish size limits. It really needs to be explained a bit better in the regulations.
I personally purchase both a Georgia and Florida license to eliminate any problems which might occur due to interpretations on the officers part. I'm covered both ways regardless of where I am or where I launch above the southern border of Georgia or below the northern border of Florida.
What you decide to do with this information is a matter of personal choice. Like Mr. Armel stated, there are lots of arguments concerning these "grey" areas. If you desire to understand just how this is interpreted, ask a DNR agent to explain them to you in your area of interest.

Jimmy Lee Armel

Reciprocal agreements apply within the river systems only. Once you exit the river into the bays, you are entering state waters and your license applies only to the state of residence and that states waters. This is true of Florida waters, and, most likely, South Carolina waters as well. This is how it was explained to me by a DNR agent a couple of years ago while fishing the St. Mary's jetties. Most likely, they will ask you to move to your state of residence waters without giving you a citation within the three mile state waters limit. Just where this transition occurs is a matter of interpretation on the officers part and it becomes a "tell it to the Judge" matter, should he decide to write you up.
Once you are outside the three mile state waters limit, it becomes federal waters and a matter of where you launched your boat for license requirements and fish size limits. It really needs to be explained a bit better in the regulations.
I personally purchase both a Georgia and Florida license to eliminate any problems which might occur due to interpretations on the officers part. I'm covered both ways regardless of where I am or where I launch above the southern border of Georgia or below the northern border of Florida.
What you decide to do with this information is a matter of personal choice. Like Mr. Armel stated, there are lots of arguments concerning these "grey" areas. If you desire to understand just how this is interpreted, ask a DNR agent to explain them to you in your area of interest.

Well written brother!