GA Lifetime Sportsman's License

Slug-Gunner

NOTE:
This is being posted because several have inquired about it recently.
*** There is a new category added for Veterans ***

=============================

Lifetime Sportsman's License:

A lifetime license allows the purchaser/named holder to enjoy a lifetime worth of hunting and fishing privileges in the State of Georgia. Georgia lifetime licenses cover all sport hunting and fishing licenses, to include WMA and PFA permits, except for the Federal Duck Stamp , and the free Federal Harvest Information Program Permit (required for dove hunting and migratory waterfowl). Deer hunters also must pick up a Deer Harvest Record from a license dealer prior to hunting each year. Lifetime licenses are valid for the life of the person, even if they move out of Georgia. People who purchase a lifetime license will receive a colorful, plastic license card. Senior license holders (65 years and older) may purchase the plastic card for a $10 processing fee. You must be a Georgia resident for at least 12 months immediately preceding the application for the lifetime license and provide proof of residency in order to be eligible for this license.

NOTE:
Holders of a GA Lifetime Sportsman's License will still need to see a GA License distributor to get a "FREE" annual H.I.P. Permit and/or an annual Deer Harvest Record *** EACH SEASON *** they intend to hunt migratory game birds (dove or waterfowl) or deer hunt.

How to Apply:

Download a Lifetime Sportsman's License application and mail or hand-deliver it to one of our Wildlife Resource Offices. The Lifetime Sportsman's License is not available online because of strict residency and age documentation requirement. Credit card transactions may not be available at every WRD Office, please call that office to verify.
To download form "Click Here" - may require Adobe Reader to view; or use this link:
http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga...nforcement/LIFETIME APPLICATION July 2007.pdf

Definitions:
1. For purposes of this license, resident is defined as continuous domicile within Georgia for a period of 12 consecutive months or longer.

Supporting Document Requirements:
Applications must be accompanied by the following (NO EXCEPTIONS):

Infant (under 2 years of age): $200
· Copy of Childs Birth Certificate AND
· Copy of Parents Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety) AND
· Copy of Parents Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID AND
· Copy of Hunter Education Card: required if obtained and < 16 years of age (in the regs, but NOT REQUIRED
< 2 yrs old - per DNR F&W John Bowers - see: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=1362669#post1362669)

Youth (age 2-15): $350
· Copy of Childs Birth Certificate AND
· Copy of Parents Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety) AND
· Copy of Parents Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID AND
· Copy of Hunter Education Card: required if obtained and < 16 years of age

Adult: $500
· Copy of Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety) AND
· Copy of Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID AND
· Copy of Hunter Education Card: required if ages 16 thru 25; only number required if age 26 or older (card copy not required) and born on/after 1-1-61

Sr. Discount (age 60 to 64): $95
· Copy of Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety)

Senior (65 and over): ($10 = only if plastic credit-card type license is desired)
· Copy of Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety)

Veterans: $400
· Copy of Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety) AND
· Copy of Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID AND
· Copy of DD 214: providing satisfactory evidence that applicant served more than 90 days of federal active duty military service and was honorably discharged AND
· Copy of Hunter Education Card: required if ages 16 thru 25; only number required if age 26 or older (card copy not required)
and born on/after 1-1-61
ADDED EDIT:
FYI: For those still on 'active duty', you receive a DD214 each time you reenlist (for your prior TIS) use it or see your MILPO office to obtain a copy from your personnel records.

Non-Resident Grandchild: $1000
· Copy of Grandchilds Birth Certificate AND
· Nres Grandchild: Notarized Certification of relationship of Lifetime License holder and Grandchild AND
· Copy of Grandparents Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety), OR
· Copy of Grandparents Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID

=================================

Last edited:

Slug-Gunner

I'll have to check on that....

So someone currently on active duty could not get a lifetime for $400?

Question:
Are you a Georgia resident ('Home State of Record' on military records) or are you assigned to a military base located in Georgia (have PCS orders)?
It might make a difference. :huh:

Technically, you are eligible for your Veteran's Benefits under the VA system after serving 180 days of 'active duty' service. During times of 'military conflict' some states use the 90 day period to determine eligibility for veteran's exemptions for tax benefits, etc.

Like other portions of the current regs, some areas are NOT WRITTEN TOO CLEARLY. I'll try to check with CPT Bell with the Social Circle DNR HQ on this. I will post this information under this topic when I get a reply back.

Slug-Gunner
GA Hunter Education Instructor
Augusta-Richmond County/CSRA

Duncan

Is lifetime lic still valid if you move out of state?

If you purchase a lifetime license and then you move out of state, is the license still valid?

TurkeyCreek

S-G....The Vetern I had in mind is my son who is currently in the Air Force. He is from Ga but is currently stationed in Neveda.

Was planning on buying him a lifetime license at $500 till I saw this about Vets getting them for $400.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I was hoping Vet. License would be a little less expensive. I won't live long enough for it to be a deal.:(

If you purchase a lifetime license and then you move out of state, is the license still valid?

Yes, that's what makes it an especially good deal for someone young, who isn't totally settled down.

One of my best buddies got transferred to NC, bought a lifetime license before leaving, and has saved hundreds of dollars.

Slug-Gunner

Unless you plan to die at 62, you have choices....

I was hoping Vet. License would be a little less expensive. I won't live long enough for it to be a deal.:(

Paymaster,

I checked your profile and at age 55 you're kind of in a dilema on which to get. At $400 a Veteran's Lifetime Sportsman's License would pay for itself in about 6.7 yrs (you'd be 62) at $60 yr for an annual Sportsman's License. If you wait until your 60 yrs old (5 yrs) and got the Senior Discount Lifetime Sportsman's License for $95 it would pay for itself in about 1.5 yrs (again about age 62) but you'd have paid for 5 yrs of annual Sportsman's License at $60/yr = total of $300 + $95. In the long run there's only $5 difference between getting it now or waiting until your age 60, that is providing you haven't already purchased your Sportsman's License for this upcoming hunting season. It all breaks down to whether you're currently purchasing an annual Sportsman's License or combinations of licenses to meet your current fishing/hunting needs for less than $60 annually. Tough choice. :huh:

One other thing to consider.... if you purchase now, you're protected from any increases in license fees that could take place between now and age 60. My understanding is that an increase in license fees is currently under discussion in the Georgia House and Senate, but that may only be rumors? Maybe Jeff Young can offer more input on that aspect.

Slug-Gunner

Last edited:

Slug-Gunner

I'll get back with you early next week....

S-G....The Vetern I had in mind is my son who is currently in the Air Force. He is from Ga but is currently stationed in Neveda.

Was planning on buying him a lifetime license at $500 till I saw this about Vets getting them for $400.

CPT Bell had already left his office for the weekend when I called to check on this.... I'll get back with you early next week with a definate answer for you.

Now that I know his status, it will make the questions much clearer. He can apply by mail and have it mailed to your address. I assume that is still his "home of record" on his military files? As long as that is the case, I don't really see a problem in him applying for it by mail, or you doing it in person if you have POA (Power of Attorney) for him - always a good thing to have with a son/daughter in the military.

Slug-Gunner

Slug-Gunner

Yes it is still valid....

A good friend of mine retired from the Army a few years back and bought some property near Belvedere, SC (just across the Savannah River from Augusta, GA. He had bought a GA Lifetime Sportsman's License a couple years before he retired and knew he was going to stay in the CSRA area after retirement. Since he still hunts at Fort Gordon on a regular basis, he said it paid for itself in less than 2 years when compared to the non-resident fees he would have had to pay otherwise. He has the benefit of having 'resident' type licenses for both GA and SC now.

See my reply to Paymaster for an estimate of how long it takes to pay for the GA Lifetime License when compared to current annual Sportsman's License fees. In 3 yrs you'll be eligible for the Senior Discount Lifetime Sportsman's License for $95. That's the one I bought when they first came out with it.

Slug-Gunner

Kreed5821

Gone but not forgotten.
I'm glad I have mine. I was afraid they'd quit offering the lifetime licenses before I had a chance to get it.

trumpdriver

Just as a side note if you are documented disabled you are entitled for a free hunting and fishing combo license which is renewable every 3 years. You can download the application from DNR website.

jettman96

If I purchase one does this include my permit to hunt/fish WMA property?

jettman96

Got the answer... I called the local DNR office and they it does include the WMA permit.

kscoggins

Got mine today,:shoot::shoot:, only thing you need annually is
(Free) HIP Permit
(Free) Deer Tags
(Federal) Duck Stamp for Waterfowl.

Phillip Thurmond

I've had mine for several years and I love it. Best thing I ever bought and think of it this way guys if you got Gator hunting you don't have to pay that $50 tag or if you go with someone who has a tag that is also included. Its a win win either way. mine has already paid for itself.

Gary Mercer

license

Hey Slug:
I thought 65 plus seniors were a free license. I have had mine for three years now, and all I do is go get my deer tags and hip tag?
Have they decided to change the reg?
Thanks,
Gary