GA Lifetime Sportsman's License

Slug-Gunner

NOTE:
This is being posted because several have inquired about it recently.
*** There is a new category added for Veterans ***

=============================

Lifetime Sportsman's License:

A lifetime license allows the purchaser/named holder to enjoy a lifetime worth of hunting and fishing privileges in the State of Georgia. Georgia lifetime licenses cover all sport hunting and fishing licenses, to include WMA and PFA permits, except for the Federal Duck Stamp , and the free Federal Harvest Information Program Permit (required for dove hunting and migratory waterfowl). Deer hunters also must pick up a Deer Harvest Record from a license dealer prior to hunting each year. Lifetime licenses are valid for the life of the person, even if they move out of Georgia. People who purchase a lifetime license will receive a colorful, plastic license card. Senior license holders (65 years and older) may purchase the plastic card for a $10 processing fee. You must be a Georgia resident for at least 12 months immediately preceding the application for the lifetime license and provide proof of residency in order to be eligible for this license.

NOTE:
Holders of a GA Lifetime Sportsman's License will still need to see a GA License distributor to get a "FREE" annual H.I.P. Permit and/or an annual Deer Harvest Record *** EACH SEASON *** they intend to hunt migratory game birds (dove or waterfowl) or deer hunt.

How to Apply:

Download a Lifetime Sportsman's License application and mail or hand-deliver it to one of our Wildlife Resource Offices. The Lifetime Sportsman's License is not available online because of strict residency and age documentation requirement. Credit card transactions may not be available at every WRD Office, please call that office to verify.
To download form "Click Here" - may require Adobe Reader to view; or use this link:
http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga...nforcement/LIFETIME APPLICATION July 2007.pdf

Definitions:
1. For purposes of this license, resident is defined as continuous domicile within Georgia for a period of 12 consecutive months or longer.

Supporting Document Requirements:
Applications must be accompanied by the following (NO EXCEPTIONS):

Infant (under 2 years of age): $200
· Copy of Childs Birth Certificate AND
· Copy of Parents Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety) AND
· Copy of Parents Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID AND
· Copy of Hunter Education Card: required if obtained and < 16 years of age (in the regs, but NOT REQUIRED
< 2 yrs old - per DNR F&W John Bowers - see: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=1362669#post1362669)

Youth (age 2-15): $350
· Copy of Childs Birth Certificate AND
· Copy of Parents Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety) AND
· Copy of Parents Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID AND
· Copy of Hunter Education Card: required if obtained and < 16 years of age

Adult: $500
· Copy of Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety) AND
· Copy of Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID AND
· Copy of Hunter Education Card: required if ages 16 thru 25; only number required if age 26 or older (card copy not required) and born on/after 1-1-61

Sr. Discount (age 60 to 64): $95
· Copy of Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety)

Senior (65 and over): ($10 = only if plastic credit-card type license is desired)
· Copy of Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety)

Veterans: $400
· Copy of Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety) AND
· Copy of Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID AND
· Copy of DD 214: providing satisfactory evidence that applicant served more than 90 days of federal active duty military service and was honorably discharged AND
· Copy of Hunter Education Card: required if ages 16 thru 25; only number required if age 26 or older (card copy not required) and born on/after 1-1-61

Non-Resident Grandchild: $1000
· Copy of Grandchilds Birth Certificate AND
· Nres Grandchild: Notarized Certification of relationship of Lifetime License holder and Grandchild AND
· Copy of Grandparents Picture ID (choose one) : Current Ga Drivers License, Georgia ID Card (issued by Dept. Motor Vehicle Safety), OR
· Copy of Grandparents Proof of Residency (choose one): Current Automobile Registration, Voter Registration card, Previous Years Ga Tax Form (NOT a W-2), Warranty Deed to property of person named on photo ID

=================================

Last edited:

whitmo

I just got the hunting regulation booklet today and saw the Veterans discount and decided to send my application in.
It will go in the mail tomorrow. I had been considering the Lifetime License all year, but wasn't sure I could swing the $500 right now. This made the decision easy for me.
Hopefully the word will get out and a bunch of people will take advantage of this.

I just got the hunting regulation booklet today and saw the Veterans discount and decided to send my application in.
It will go in the mail tomorrow. I had been considering the Lifetime License all year, but wasn't sure I could swing the $500 right now. This made the decision easy for me.
Hopefully the word will get out and a bunch of people will take advantage of this.

Alright! That is good to hear about someone taking advantage of a good initiative by the State and DNR...:bounce:

Granted it is not a huge discount but every little bit helps I am sure and no value can be placed on the debt of gratitude we owe our veterans. :cheers:

DRAKE2

Veterans

Thanks for the info. it help me to save $100.00. But the local office had not heared of the change yet and I had to call over to the main office, they then called the local office for me and all was good.

Flintlock1776

I am proud to have mine

I was one of the very first to buy it when it came out. I don't get a chance to get back but knowing I can just lets me smile knowing I can if I ever get the chance again to go back an hunt. My club in Dallas, Ga was plowed under for a country singer's home and then I moved out of state so its hard for me to find another club to join and even get the time to get back at least once a season. Maybe someday. If you still live there I still believe it is a great value and investment in our hunting heritage.

KKirk

How does one get a hunter's education number if they haven't taken a hunter's education course in GA. All I got is a hunter's education card from PA. There is no number on the card.

Slug-Gunner

PA Hunter Education Card....

How does one get a hunter's education number if they haven't taken a hunter's education course in GA. All I got is a hunter's education card from PA. There is no number on the card.

Georgia recognizes other states 'Hunter Education Cards' that are issued under NRA approved course guidelines.

What is the purpose you need this information for? If for a regular hunting license, then you simply need to present that card when purchasing a license. If for wanting to obtain a GA Lifetime Sportsman's License, then printing the online application form, completing it, and presenting it along with your PA Hunter Education Card, and with other required ID and residency requirements, and paying the required fee, IN PERSON at your local DNR office should get your application approved and a 90 day 'temporary card' issued while your application is processed and your plastic (credit card style) permanent GA Lifetime Sportsman's License is issued and mailed to your local residency address.

Call your local DNR office or the Social Circle HQ office for more info and/or to see if your PA Hunter Education Card is on the 'approved list' of recognized states that Georgia accepts as proof of Hunter Education requirements. Phone numbers can be found in the latest copy of either the Hunting or Fishing Regulation Guidelines for 2007-2008.

I hope this helps.... if further info is needed, PM me.

Slug-Gunner
GA Hunter Education Instructor
Augusta-Richmond County/CSRA

Last edited:

danmc

does the money include WMA fees?

Yes. You do need to still get a (free) deer harvest record each year.

As far as I'm concerned, its a great deal if there's a chance you'll ever move out of state but still want to come back for hunting or fishing with friends or relatives. I wish I'd bought a lifetime license in the state my parents live in when I was still a resident there. Would have paid off in a small handful of years of buying non resident licenses.

iq_52

Note for Lifetime License Holders

Just to add to Slug-Gunners post, lifetime license holders do NOT need an alligator license to hunt gators. (See page 7 of the regulations booklet).

Just to add to Slug-Gunners post, lifetime license holders do NOT need an alligator license to hunt gators. (See page 7 of the regulations booklet).

Correct, the Lifetime License covers ALL GA State licenses, INCLUDING the alligator license. The duck stamp is a federal fee.

jawjaboy30

Banned
my dad gave me the lifetime sportsman's license for christmas 2 years ago. i'm 23 and i know it's going to be worth it down the road. as mentioned before, you do have to get a harvest card and as well as other permits, such as deer dog hunting and others i believe.

Unfortunately the GA LIFETIME license does not cover trapping. That needs to be changed.

Anyone retired who traps who might care to tackle that issue? I'' be glad to help.

vahunter

I see there is an option for a nonres grandchild...is there nothing for a nonres child? I lived in GA until about 2 years ago & am wish I had gotten one while still in state. I come back to hunt w/ my dad & father in law several times a year and it can break the bank in a hurry. I'm sure I'll eventually get my kids one if we haven't moved back, but does this mean they can all go w/ lifetime and I've always got to buy one?

mmarkey

If you are a lifetime license holder you DO NOT NEED a special alligator license. See the excerp from the DNR web site referring to Alligator hunting in Georgia.

Copied from the DNR website: (italics added for clarity)

LICENSES: Anyone hunting or assisting an alligator permit holder must possess a valid Alligator Hunting License ($50) in addition to a regular hunting license. A WMA license is required if hunting on a WMA. Disability, Honorary & Lifetime License holders are exempt from these requirements. Hunters must be at least twelve years of age. Hunters age 12-15 need not have an Alligator Hunting License or Hunting License; however, they must possess a valid permit or be with a permit holder. In order to hunt unsupervised they must have a valid Hunter Education Certificate.

It would be nice if someone would correct the original posting.

The lifetime license is a GREAT DEAL!!